Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Mint condition '06 Cannondale Prophet 600
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always used Craigslist. I know about pinkbike, but haven't tried it. Bicyclebluebook I am skeptical of. Anywhere else to look for something used?
Thanks

·
Registered
149 Posts
Seems like around me Facebook Marketplace or one of the cycling specific Facebook groups have the best quality used bikes. I know some dont like to use FB, but I know some make accounts just to use the Marketplace aspect.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My local market is small and I’ve had good luck using Pinkbike for both buying and selling. Seeing the bike in person is ideal, so FB and CL are great options as well. Never pay with Venmo or Paypal Friends and Family, there is no buyer protection. The seller will have to pay a fee on Paypal when selling goods and services but thats’s the price you pay for doing business. I had a guy split the fee with me which I think is fair. Got this bad boy from Pinkbike just this week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Disgruntled Peccary
1,109 Posts
I've even paid the PayPal fee as the buyer (it IS an option), and then you get the protection.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Facebook market place I feel is best. That's where I got mine a week ago. Just right now the prices are very high.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I can second Pro Closet. I bought a Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt C-70 about two months ago and it was just as described on the site.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,131 Posts
It may be difficult with modern times and all but you can find some good deals on used bikes at races. Bring cash and a second pair of eyes to look over a used bike that could have possibly been raced hard the previous season.
👽

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8,266 Posts
It may be difficult with modern times and all but you can find some good deals on used bikes at races. Bring cash and a second pair of eyes to look over a used bike that could have possibly been raced hard the previous season.
👽
Great idea!

I have also seen bikes chained up at Lift Serve Parks with For-Sale signs on them during park Season.

·
Registered
429 Posts
20+ years ago, I bought a Cannondale Raven from mtbr classifieds... I sent the check, and he sent the bike. No pics, digital cameras were an expensive novelty.

Turned out it was a medium, not a large as advertised, so I packed it back up and sent it back. Those were different times, lol.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Facebook marketplace and the pros closet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
322 Posts
And never use Venmo as stated as there is zero protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've used PinkBike twice, once for my girlfriend's first bike, and once for my mountain bike. Both were local so I was able to inspect the bike in person. Turns out the mountain bike seller was a mechanic at my local shop that I knew, so there was no problem with trust in either direction. But I brought my Park Tool stand to buy the road bike for my girlfriend so I could inspect it in detail. I'd look there again for another bike if I didn't already have D-1 bikes in my stable.

Reactions: Noah Kubicek

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got mine via ebay; seller had good ratings and it was sold by a bike/ski store. It had a season of use and they prepped & packed it well.

·
Hoolie Ghoulie on Strava.
3,127 Posts
Check out homeless encampments. Tons of bikes at discounted prices.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts