Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am headed to Arizona in early May for a work conference. Definitely bringing my bike. I am going to be staying at the Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort At Gainey Ranch. Where should I ride while i'm out there? My only way to get around will be bike and taxi. Is there any good riding trails around this resort? Any help will be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

·
Break it, Fix it, Ride it
1,940 Posts
You're right in between the Phoenix Mountain Preserve (PMP) and the McDowell Sonoran Preserve (MSP). PMP you can get to off of Tatum, south of Shea, and you can get into MSP through the Gateway trailhead, as a generic answer. There's access through other trails, but that's the long answer, which I can drive to, but can describe. A google sat view will get you closer. Start with those!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can easily ride your bike to the Tatum trailhead of Phoenix Mountain Preserve. Just take Doubetree west until you hit tatum and the TH is up the road a 100yards or so on your left.
Would this be the Trail 100 that I keep hearing about??

I only have May 7th to ride because I leave on the 8th.
Also people have been telling me to ride Mcdowell but it looks like its 20 miles away.

·
Break it, Fix it, Ride it
1,940 Posts
Check this map. You'll be entering on the far east side off of Tatum. Once you get in the park, it's a spider web of fun. Hard to get lost as the mountains are good landmarks. There's plenty there for you without even crossing the 51.

·
Give it a crank
2,995 Posts
Trail 100 will introduce you to some typical AZ chunky riding that most out-of-towners despise. It takes some getting used to but once you do it's addictive.

If you're looking for something easier, you can go straight south a couple more miles to Papago Park for easier trails. If you go by Google Maps, you'll see a trail going up and over Camelback Mtn. No one has ever attempted that trail on a bike.

·
Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
859 Posts
Sweet thanks for all the good reply's!!
Is there good signage out there because I would like to make it back to FL alive.

Anyone wanna ride on May 7th with me Let me know!
Just in case you didn't catch on with some of the smart remarks, it's going to be hot. you may need to bring lights for a night ride or start when you can see before the sun comes up. From your hotel take Doubletree Ranch rd west to till you come to Tatum Blvd. then take a left (south) just a little ways and you will see a small parking lot. head in and start riding. I think it's only about 6miles from your hotel so you can ride there no problem. I'd join ya but I can't wake up that early for a ride and I'll be doing my midnight rides by then. have fun.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just in case you didn't catch on with some of the smart remarks, it's going to be hot. you may need to bring lights for a night ride or start when you can see before the sun comes up. From your hotel take Doubletree Ranch rd west to till you come to Tatum Blvd. then take a left (south) just a little ways and you will see a small parking lot. head in and start riding. I think it's only about 6miles from your hotel so you can ride there no problem. I'd join ya but I can't wake up that early for a ride and I'll be doing my midnight rides by then. have fun.
Thanks! I just checked it out on goolge maps.
I will definitely bring plenty of water!!

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
What level of riding and cardio are we talking about. What bike do you ride?

THe difference between McDowell Sonoran and Mountain park is HUUGE. The first one is chunky and techy. And if you decide to climb the mountains - you will need some good cardio and then good skills to descend. IF you are beginner you will get hurt.

McDowell MOuntain Park and Brown's Ranch are much easier.

All of the above are very scenic.

Trail 100 is not very representative of the Sonoran Desert - it has been urbanized too much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What level of riding and cardio are we talking about. What bike do you ride?

THe difference between McDowell Sonoran and Mountain park is HUUGE. The first one is chunky and techy. And if you decide to climb the mountains - you will need some good cardio and then good skills to descend. IF you are beginner you will get hurt.

McDowell MOuntain Park and Brown's Ranch are much easier.

All of the above are very scenic.

Trail 100 is not very representative of the Sonoran Desert - it has been urbanized too much.
I have a 2014 stumpjumper evo (trail bike) and a 2013 cannondale scalpel (race bike) Most likely I will take the Stumpy. I usually ride 60 to 90 miles a week trail/road/trainer. I would probably do a 20 to 30 mile ride that day depending on the heat. I will load up with plenty of water and cliff-bars. Mostly Looking for a scenic ride with some technical parts. Definitely want to follow some kind of trail or map, I don't want to get lost out there in an area that I know nothing about.

I have a map that Dagg Nabit posted of the Phoenix Mountain Preserve. Looks like Tatum trail head is only 3-4 miles away from my hotel.

Appreciate all of the help everyone!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.