Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a fellow New Yorker wanting some guidence from other NYers on where a newbie should go to get good at the sport but not kill myself. i live in the wappingers area which is near poughkeepsie. i was think of places like vasser and maybe 909, but dont know. i really want to get out there i just dont want to find myself on a trail that i can die on.

just want some help if u can give some that would be cool :D

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I think you should spend some time at Vassar. Start past the pit/BMX jumps and get onto the "flat tracks." This is a twisty flat section where you can practice speedy turns and still see what's coming up. Keep taking rights and you'll eventually do a stream crossing and a slightly rooty climb. Keep on pedaling, there's about 7 miles to find with some extra across from IBM. 909 is a great place, some shops like Pleasant Valley have trail maps, tho the newer trails havent been mapped yet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pedaler845 said:
I think you should spend some time at Vassar. Start past the pit/BMX jumps and get onto the "flat tracks." This is a twisty flat section where you can practice speedy turns and still see what's coming up. Keep taking rights and you'll eventually do a stream crossing and a slightly rooty climb. Keep on pedaling, there's about 7 miles to find with some extra across from IBM. 909 is a great place, some shops like Pleasant Valley have trail maps, tho the newer trails havent been mapped yet.

thanks so much for the advice pedaler845 this place really is awesome and im planing on making Vassar a regular place to go.......i was wondering if u knew of any places that i could meet some other riders (still a newbie) and maybe some groups that i could help with clean up of trails?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
It's not too hard to find with a few minutes of exploration~ the "church" trail is found by crossing the powerlines on a trail before the stunts and then coming out into a parking lot for IBM. Continue down and out to a road, 1/4 mile, head left on the road. On the right you'll see a fence in about 200 feet, go around on right, continue down dirt road 200 feet, look on right for 2 trails. As for meeting others, I would think thru riding youll find some... Or post a thread for people to ride with here. If you scan some threads I've begun for mid-hudson area you'll see some potential riding partners within. Unfortunately, there's no organized mtb'ers in PoTown. There's Fats in the Cat's and though they're based in Kingston, many members reside, ride, and maintain trails here. BTW, in Kingston there's some great trails the club maintains at Jockey Hill and Onteora Lake state lands. Great terrain for your dual sus. The club organizes beginners rides, and has at least 1 skills clinic this year... ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts