Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Rocks Rock
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in Manassas, VA and have a few days off this coming week, Sun., Mon., Tues. and part of Wed. Thinking about heading south aways for some warmer riding. Maybe around Raleigh or even further. Any suggestions... technical trails I shouldn't miss? I could drive to a different trail in a different place every day.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Any LBS. If staying in Asheville, there's 6. Brevard, two. All can help.

Search this thread, there's lot of route suggestions, outlines, etc. Print those up, go to any of the LBS's, buy the Pisgah District map, if you bring the route suggestions, show them to a shop employee and ask them to assist- or have the fun of finding the trails and roads yourself.

If you post where you're staying, I'll give you directions to the closest bike shop(s).

Peace, Mike

·
earth surfer
109 Posts
Deer Hunting

A word of caution. Deer season (rifle use) is open until Dec. 10th. No hunting on Sundays however. Any other day you should avoid riding. If you must ride, do it with a group and wear a hunting safety vest.

·
Rocks Rock
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mike Brown said:
Any LBS. If staying in Asheville, there's 6. Brevard, two. All can help.

Search this thread, there's lot of route suggestions, outlines, etc. Print those up, go to any of the LBS's, buy the Pisgah District map, if you bring the route suggestions, show them to a shop employee and ask them to assist- or have the fun of finding the trails and roads yourself.

If you post where you're staying, I'll give you directions to the closest bike shop(s).

Peace, Mike
Mike,
I'll be staying at the Holiday Inn Express by the Biltmore mall exit 33 mon I26.
Thanx for all your help.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Carolina Fatz and Bent Creek are extremely close to where you are staying. BioWheels, ProBikes, and Hearn's are all very close in the downtown area.

Carolina Fatz- just turn away from the interstate onto the main road in front of Biltmore Square. Go past all the shopping- just past Discount Shoes, a great store, on the right, Carolina Fatz is on the left.

If you are going downtown, I'm a dedicated BW shopper. Easiest is I-26 west to 240 East exit to south off the Merrimon exit (5A or B, can't remember which, but it's one of the 5's) towards and through downtown. After you go through the town square, you'll go through one more light and BioWheels will be on your left. Lots of good lunch spots around there as well.

Mills River riding will also be very accessible from where you're at. As your line says you like the rocks, I highly recommend Laurel-Pilot. Buy the map and ask for help finding this loop. Trace Ridge is also a great somewhat technical descent.

Have fun!
Mike

·
Registered
123 Posts
Wilson Creek Wilderness Area is east of Asheville off I40 and west of Raleigh

It is worth the 30 to 40 minute drive from I40 up Hwy 181 to the trail heads. You can get a map of the area in Morganton at CBS Sports (located right on 181) and directions to trails at Carolina Bike Works in Morganton right off of Hwy 70. Been having great temperatures. The trails are worth the drive off of I40.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.