Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Just go to a dealer that sells Specialized bikes

then look at the stickers on them. They're small and some might be tough to find. You'll see that pretty much all of them will say "Made in China" or "Made in Taiwan" on them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
maybe

RVM said:
then look at the stickers on them. They're small and some might be tough to find. You'll see that pretty much all of them will say "Made in China" or "Made in Taiwan" on them.
maybe I'm nit picking but I would like proof. I'm in the middle of an argu.....I mean discussion with a friend...........he's says that maybe just the stickers are made in china

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not really

RVM said:
Probably. Makes sense since that's where the bikes are from too.
most of your "american made" cars, vehicles, etc. have parts from other countries......just like the bike.......take shimano for instance not american but on all american made bikes..............now does anyone know where the frames are made and assembled? The website says they are located in California.............

·
Uhhhhh...
2,894 Posts
malariavalley said:
most of your "american made" cars, vehicles, etc. have parts from other countries......just like the bike.......take shimano for instance not american but on all american made bikes..............now does anyone know where the frames are made and assembled? The website says they are located in California.............
Every single bike that Specialized makes in built in Taiwan. Call them and ask.

-TS

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I like that logic about just the label being made

in Taiwan / China and being put on the bike for fun. US import law requires proper origin labelling (Customs broker I am for many years). This can be subverted somewhat when you see a label saying "assembled in" or "designed in" the US in particular. Not all importers comply completely with the law, but am pretty sure Specialized wouldn't screw around with it as the penalties if caught are a royal pain.

It is quite true that most bicycles will have components from a variety of countries, but usually it is your frameset that gives a bicycle its origin, but not always.

·
Premium Member
6,961 Posts
malariavalley said:
maybe I'm nit picking but I would like proof. I'm in the middle of an argu.....I mean discussion with a friend...........he's says that maybe just the stickers are made in china
Tell your friend to step away from the Bong as it is obvious that he has used it to much. Let's think about this for a second, why would a company want to build a product in the US and advertise it as Chinese made?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Specialized main office is located in Cali, but they don't make ANY bikes there. The design bikes, Giant in Taiwan manufactures the frames, sources the componetnts per Specialized's specifications (say that three times fast) builds, them, distributes them, and specialized collects the profits. Pretty sweet business deal. Giant does a damn good job, too. I'm not certain, but I think giant builds frames for other mfg's too, kinda like a job shop.

·
Registered
230 Posts
taiwan

Giant makes the Enduros and Meirda makes all the others. Pick up a buyers guide and it should list where they were made. Regardless, it doesn't matter where they are made, quality-wise, because Specialized bikes are defenitely up to par with other bike makers.

·
Riding free's the mind
1,014 Posts
nothing new

You typically have to pay $$$ for a US made bike. Most bikes made here are considered "custom"... Titus, Ellsworth, Seven, Independent, Moots, etc. But even these makes have their frames built in a large facility that services several different manufacturers. I believe even the likes of Santa Cruz are built in Asia, not to mention the others like Giant, Trek, K2, GT, ...long list..... In fact there are very few if any moderately priced bikes made here, it just can't be done with our cost of labor.

If you want a US made bike, go custom. There are a ton of great builders all over the country to hand weld and spec the frame just for you.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Interesting... of all the brands you listed, only Ellsworth outsources it's welding. Titus, Moots, Seven, IF all make their own frames. So does Cannondale. Every Cannondale frame is made in the US.

-james

HTail said:
You typically have to pay $$$ for a US made bike. Most bikes made here are considered "custom"... Titus, Ellsworth, Seven, Independent, Moots, etc. But even these makes have their frames built in a large facility that services several different manufacturers. I believe even the likes of Santa Cruz are built in Asia, not to mention the others like Giant, Trek, K2, GT, ...long list..... In fact there are very few if any moderately priced bikes made here, it just can't be done with our cost of labor.

If you want a US made bike, go custom. There are a ton of great builders all over the country to hand weld and spec the frame just for you.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Trek

My Trek Fuel 80 (one of their cheaper FS bikes) has a big american flag on the frame and says "Made in U.S.A." I wish that American-made frame was as good as my Taiwanese Specialized Enduro frame.

·
Riding free's the mind
1,014 Posts
I stand corrected

In retrospect you are right about those that build in-house versus ellsworth outsourcing.

It's been one of my beefs as a Ellsworth owner to have a frame worth upwards of $2k that is not fabricated in-house. With that said I also understand the logistics and capital involved in running a production facility to handle the volume, but it seems like it could be priced a bit lower.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts