Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Law abiding citizen
510 Posts
What is bent riders? Pissed off riders? If so that's me! :madmax:

G

·
is there a decent size group of 2 wheel Mountain recumbenter's out there?
I doubt it. There are a few online over at BROL but only one AFAIK that looks serious (and he races both LWB and SWB). There is only one SWB bent marketed as off-road and it's an adapted road design that is quite limited. One other manufacturer makes a couple of LWB ones but one is rigid. There seems to be little market, little product, and little understanding beyond light trail needs. I think it's a very interesting idea, though, and could be pretty fun. It would have to be full custom at this point.

Of course, bent riding would be limited by the inability to stand, lift wheels, and perform tight turns, but MTB bents could have long wheelbases and a very low CoG so descenting ability might surprise. Rear suspensions would be easy to design with all the room and the lack of low bottom bracket as well. Big front wheels are difficult, though.

I'm having a custom MTB bent built for me but it won't be for 9 months due to the builder wait. I think it's an interesting challenge but don't expected much interest from other riders.

·
...ride to live
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
OKay, I wasn't thinking offroad for this catagory but we have a "cargobike" catagory so it seems 'bents too could have a place on the forum. Recumbents on trails is not too unusual. Just ask the hikers that looked up and saw me coming down the dirt and gravel trail I was on last weekend. Not that I intended to be on a trail that particular day.

But there is a downhill class for recumbent delta trikes. No suspension but some good ol' frame breaking and air time non the less.

Kettwiesel Action - Hase Bikes - YouTube

Ride No More - YouTube

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.