Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I googled and tried the link here on mtbr.com, but all I can find is Progressive's motor sports department. Anyone have a link to the bike stuff like fit and hardware tables?

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
Whoa.

Somebody on ridemonkey was saying a few months ago that they were canning their bike stuff. Maybe so.

G

·
Your going to have to call them direct. They stop producing biking related shocks and hardware, but they are still going to support their products for a couple of more years.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Friend of mine told me when discussing this the other day that Progressive has completely gotten away from the bicycle stuff and has made arrangments with Answer/Manitou for servicing....anyone verify this?

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Was wondering about this too.

Bikinfoolferlife said:
Friend of mine told me when discussing this the other day that Progressive has completely gotten away from the bicycle stuff and has made arrangments with Answer/Manitou for servicing....anyone verify this?
Since Answer bought manufacturing rights from Progressive and seem to be manufacturing very similar designed shocks, I was wondering if they would be players in future servicing of the Progressive units. I understand that Hippie Tech services Progressive units.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Progressive isn't making any more bike (bicycle) stuff, but I think they are still servicing them. The policies change all the time, so a call is the only way to know for sure.

BM

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
bmadau said:
Progressive isn't making any more bike (bicycle) stuff, but I think they are still servicing them. The policies change all the time, so a call is the only way to know for sure.

BM
As far as one month ago, they still serviced shocks. I knwo because I was quoted 120 bucks for a service.

Not to mention, there's a BLOWN 5th Air collecting dust at my place.

5th Airs can not be serviced by user. Special tools are needed everywhere, even at the air canister. Only "service" you can do to them is put some lube on the pistin shaft and clean it after every ride.

What a pity... it was a good shock. Very nice, with a decent compression stroke, nice pedaling and awesome rebound. Light too.

RIP 5th Elements.:bluefrown:

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Can 5th coil be user serviced?

I just got quoted $125 for a rebuild of the 5th on my SGS. So it looks like they are still doing the service in house.

_MK

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
MK_ said:
Can 5th coil be user serviced?

I just got quoted $125 for a rebuild of the 5th on my SGS. So it looks like they are still doing the service in house.

_MK
I think it's as serviceable as any coil shock. If you have the means to fill it up with N2, and measure IFP depth and such, I think you can (in your case, I'm positive you can).

But... may you find some busted seal or anything alike, you're on your own and sending the shock to Progressive as they don't sell the parts. If you happen to be friends with an authorized service center, I think they could order the parts for you.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Warp said:
I think it's as serviceable as any coil shock. If you have the means to fill it up with N2, and measure IFP depth and such, I think you can (in your case, I'm positive you can).

But... may you find some busted seal or anything alike, you're on your own and sending the shock to Progressive as they don't sell the parts. If you happen to be friends with an authorized service center, I think they could order the parts for you.
I was told by Progressive that they would bring the shock up to the 06 standard. I'm not positive what it means other than they will replace some parts. Not sure what those are. I'm thinking seals had a run for their money in the 3 years of downhilling the shock was used for. So I'm inclined to just send it in. I figured if it was a documented procedure, I would give it a go. I don't like messing around with the IFP and ensuring there's no air trapped behind it. Thanks for the vote of confidence, though!

_MK

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
MK_ said:
I was told by Progressive that they would bring the shock up to the 06 standard. I'm not positive what it means other than they will replace some parts. Not sure what those are. I'm thinking seals had a run for their money in the 3 years of downhilling the shock was used for. So I'm inclined to just send it in. I figured if it was a documented procedure, I would give it a go. I don't like messing around with the IFP and ensuring there's no air trapped behind it. Thanks for the vote of confidence, though!

_MK
Well... 125 bucks after three years is very fair rate! Worthy of sending it in. Mine lasted three months... little cost effective, I would say, so I'm not sending it in.

Maybe later, but I'm more tempted for Pushing my Fox Float.

Check TFTune site for the '05 spec works they do. I figure the '06 is a further, better evolution. Seems they rang a bell with the 5th Coil.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.