Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Stinkyest of the Stinkys!
110 Posts
Hmmm... interesting question. Their roots are Canadian, as Kona's co-owner Jake Heilbron was in the Vancouver, British Columbia bike shop business and had his hand in the founding of the Rocky Mountain brand before he formed Kona with co-owner Dan Gerhard, and also with Joe Murray, who left Kona to work at Voodoo and also design for Dahon.

Per Kona's own website, this is what they have to say in their FAQs:
http://www.konaworld.com/tech/question_answers/question_answers.htm

What is Kona's address?

World Headquarters - USA
Kona USA
2455 Salashan
Ferndale, Washington

Who owns Kona and where do you make your bikes?

Kona is 50% US and 50% Canadian owned. It is an independent company; no one owns us and we don't own anything else. We design all of our bikes from the ground up and visit the factories that make our frames and components and assemble our bikes in Taiwan every month while they are being produced. Bikes these days are a virtual United Nations (we have parts on our bikes made in Canada, China, France, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, USA) so it is almost impossible to get even half the parts on a bike from one country now. It is great to support your home country but the most important thing for Kona is to make the best bikes we can because our bikes are ridden by serious riders all around the world who expect nothing short of perfection.

·
Stinkyest of the Stinkys!
110 Posts
Gambox said:
I believed that they were originally from hawaii :confused:
Nope - not from Hawaii. As 4slomo pointed out through the link:

http://www.konaworld.com/tech/tech_default.htm

"The Kona name comes from our fascination with volcanic things. We're located on the Northern edge of the volcanic Cascade Mountain Range, which runs down the Pacific Coast from Canada to Southern California. The Hawaiian Islands are a volcanic chain, so the Kona name connection came along naturally."

·
Registered
208 Posts
konut said:
:D its not cheesy at all it makes sense.

if your passionate about something you give it your all

and for me kona gives all,my bike was the best bike that suited my needs:thumbsup:
nope still cheesy. glad you are happy with your bike though. I am too.

Always found it interesting that its only the frame that is actually from the company and the rest is simply other components (half, more than half?). Obviously the frame has a minor influence on how all these components interact to make the bike how it is ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.