Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Startn this thread to see where I can find a carbon or plastic seat shim
to convert a 27.2 post to fit for a 30.9...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,770 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,770 Posts
nikoli8 said:
http://fairwheelbikes.com/use-seatpost-shim-p-1235.html

Thanks Nino, Which one should I grab to put 27.2 to 30.9?
Did you do any other running than cutting off 30%?
No-just cut 30mm off and use carbon-paste. This allows for less torque and seatposts won't slip.

http://www3.hibike.com/?sessionID=C...D=&productID=f8ec1f8d8311b64cd3fc0c9f4ceb7449
I'd say the 31,0 will grip as well.But definitely use carbon-paste.

Or buy the correct measure seatpost right away and save weight...may i remind you Token sells a carbon seatpost 30,9/350 at 140g...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya. I saw the Token in a similar post.
I just wanna try this route for now, and if seems unworkable maybe go Token.

I wish I had your skill level to sand and clearcoat to perfection.

What's your web page, I wanna see the mods you have done.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,770 Posts
nikoli8 said:
Ya. I saw the Token in a similar post.
I just wanna try this route for now, and if seems unworkable maybe go Token.

I wish I had your skill level to sand and clearcoat to perfection.

What's your web page, I wanna see the mods you have done.
Mods? Which ones? Removing of the logo? That's easy and done in 5 minutes. No extra skills needed at all.

-remove the clearcoat and logo suing emery cloth (ca. grade 600).Takes 1 minute under water.
-dry and clean
-spray clearcoat or polish using auto-polish
-let sit and dry
end of the story

takes no more than 5 minutes.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
Thanks for these posts, nikoli and nino!

Have you managed to find somewhere that is actually selling the 30.9mm size? This is unusual that these online shops are selling 30.8 and 31.0, but no 30.9?

22g for the USE plastic shim is OK, but it really hurts as a weight-conscious rider/racer to use our expensive, light parts only to add on this weight!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ScaryFast ... Nino's the best source fir any info in how to obtain a post.
Drop him a line.

Niño, your a sculpture so that stuff might seem easy to you..
It's a little intimidating to me...



To try and keep this thread going as a helpful search thread for where you can find sought after items.... My next hunt begins...

Where can I find Tune headset parts.. The black plastic rings that sits on the bearings is what I need..
Was recommended Alcamey Bikes--- and didn't pain out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
Sorry I was referring to obtaining the shim, not the Token post. (or maybe Nino sells those too?)

I am going to think about this for a little while before I decide whether to go with a shim, or just a new seatpost altogether.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So cut and weighed at 12 grams .. Measured out 3cm.. Going on my custom Red Masterpiece. I got for Xmas...

The family got the post and the gf got the Tomac... neither communicated seatpost size... So gotta use it.

The shim was around 6 U.S dollars here in Korea.
Might grab another and dremmel it ? Think that would work.



Niño thanks for the advice. Gonna try it on the Cycle King saddle
Do I need to do the whole saddle or just words... Looks like you did not do the entire
seatpost.

Current un cut weight with shim and KCNC yokes and Ti Hardware.
160 grams... Hopefully loose 5 or more grams by cutting post.

But the frame will save me almost 800 Grams.

So.... I'll use it and when I get my taxes ... I'll grab the lightning Cranks from the best weight weenie on the site.... I'd love to know how much those cranks cost.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,770 Posts
nikoli8 said:
Do I need to do the whole saddle or just words... Looks like you did not do the entire
seatpost.

Current un cut weight with shim and KCNC yokes and Ti Hardware.
160 grams... Hopefully loose 5 or more grams by cutting post.

So.... I'll use it and when I get my taxes ... I'll grab the lightning Cranks from the best weight weenie on the site.... I'd love to know how much those cranks cost.
To allow the clearcoat to stick you need to slightly roughen everything on the saddles top. As mentioned above all you need is some emery cloth (ca. grade 600-800) and under water you'll be able to get rid of the Logos in no time. I did it to a Token saddle and seatpost as well which you can see below...

It is no rocket science and can be done by everyone that ever has painted something with a spray can. All you want to avoid is putting too much paint as this would form those "drops"...just put layer after layer. It's really done in minutes.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Like I said you are an artist... I'm gonna do it this week..

Niño any clue where to ge tune spare parts and mini ilinks...

No one has black minis... The tune piece is the black plastic cap that covers the bearings
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,770 Posts
nikoli8 said:
Like I said you are an artist... I'm gonna do it this week..

Niño any clue where to ge tune spare parts and mini ilinks...

No one has black minis... The tune piece is the black plastic cap that covers the bearings
You don't need to be an artist.just do it...it's much easier than you might think!

Don't ask me about Tune.That's one company i usually try to avoid as much as i can.

I know where to get the Minis though but that does not belong in here.If you have questions you can PM me or send a e-mail.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
~ScaryFast~ said:
Thanks for these posts, nikoli and nino!

Have you managed to find somewhere that is actually selling the 30.9mm size? This is unusual that these online shops are selling 30.8 and 31.0, but no 30.9?

22g for the USE plastic shim is OK, but it really hurts as a weight-conscious rider/racer to use our expensive, light parts only to add on this weight!
My shop has 30.9 ! Let me know if you want one dropped in the mail.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top