Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after a 2-3 year break from mountain biking (sold my old Klein b/c I wasn't riding it), I picked up a Yeti ARC and am loving it! Incidentally, the Yeti blows my old Klein away... My question is this--where have bar ends gone? When I was riding it was virtually every bike that had flat bars and bar ends. Now almost every bike (mine included) has riser bars, and bar ends are tough to find anywhere! What happened? Is there some fundamental reason NOT to use bar ends on riser bars, or is it just a cool-factor issue?

Either way, my hands are begging for an extra position... Can definitely tell I've been a roadie for 5 years...

DrPete

·
Registered
571 Posts
Where have the barends gone?

Sounds like the title of the latest Celine Dion ballad ;)

But really now, barends are just as useful now as they were years ago.
They are great for climbing and offer good relief with a second hand position other than the grips. They're still common among the XC riders.

I guess they just fell of our favor. I have read that it's a bike fashion offense to mount barends to risers, but that's just bull IMO. I never hesitated to mount barends on my bikes, even if they had risers on them.

Bikes go through fashion phases just like clothing. Bikes are also products of marketing.
It was in style to have XC looking bike years ago ala Ned Overland and Johnny T.
Nowadays, it's the beefy North Shore Chic style that dictates. Burly bikes with risers are in style.

My Local bike shops have slowly stopped carrying barends, if you look online, you can still find them. They come in all shapes and sizes nowadays, including these ergo shaped carbon ones...

Cambria Bikes has a good selection:
http://cambriabike.com/bars&ends/barends.htm

For something completely different, check out the Jeff Jones H-bars. I really dig mine.

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
DrPete said:
So, after a 2-3 year break from mountain biking (sold my old Klein b/c I wasn't riding it), I picked up a Yeti ARC and am loving it! Incidentally, the Yeti blows my old Klein away... My question is this--where have bar ends gone? When I was riding it was virtually every bike that had flat bars and bar ends. Now almost every bike (mine included) has riser bars, and bar ends are tough to find anywhere! What happened? Is there some fundamental reason NOT to use bar ends on riser bars, or is it just a cool-factor issue?

Either way, my hands are begging for an extra position... Can definitely tell I've been a roadie for 5 years...

DrPete
I see lots of them on soccer dad bikes,usually the soccer dads position the bar ends straight up like steer horns so they can have a nice comfy (for them) upright riding position.The nausea factor doubles when they're on a $175 pseudo dual suspension bargin bike.

Actually I can see using them with flat bars just for an extra position...but I don't bother with it.

What do you like about the Yeti compared to your previous bike (Klein) ?

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
dirtpaws said:
Yeah I see a lot off those Costco and Walmart bikes with the barends turned completely upright.

Reminds me of all the old ten speed road bikes that have the drop bars turned upwards.
I'm laughing,forgot all about the disfigured ten speeds I used to see all over the place !

·
MTB SOCAL
1,456 Posts
Barends? What are they?

I recently started biking again after a few years off. My old Klein had barends and I relied on them a lot for climbing steep stuff and a relief hand position for prolonged rides. My new FS bikes all have riser bars which are more comfortable. I think barends probably still would be useful adjunct to climbing, but I have learned to adust and find that I climb just as well without them. Their lack of availability stems, I think, largely from what current mtb fashion dictates. You also don't see too much purple annodized components anymore.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Purple Anodizd parts...

yangpei said:
...You also don't see too much purple annodized components anymore.
True true.
Man, back when I was a kid I drooled over all the blue and red anodized BMX parts.

The sweep on risers do make riding more comfortable, but they still can't makeup for the added hand position of barends for relief. When standing out of the saddle and attacking a climb, the barend's position are more ergonomic on the wrist as the motion is more natural when you rock the bike form side to side.

·
I already rode that
1,632 Posts
yangpei said:
I recently started biking again after a few years off. My old Klein had barends and I relied on them a lot for climbing steep stuff and a relief hand position for prolonged rides. My new FS bikes all have riser bars which are more comfortable. I think barends probably still would be useful adjunct to climbing, but I have learned to adust and find that I climb just as well without them. Their lack of availability stems, I think, largely from what current mtb fashion dictates. You also don't see too much purple annodized components anymore.
I remember using barends. I stopped using them after seeing I hardly put my hands on them. When I did use them it was usually only after a long ride and just for a different hand position.

Hell I'd use a straight bar still on my bike if they came in the same bend/sweep as most risers do (which makes it more comfortable anyways) but since like noone a few years ago did make them that way I went and got a riserbar and loved it even though I had to cut it down to 24".

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeti vs. Klein

OK, here's the list--

1. Handbuilt. Kleins aren't handbuilt anymore, and the precision of the welds and the overall coolness of the head tube emblem on the ARC are major pluses.

2. The rear triangle is much more compliant in the bumps than the Klein, with (at least) equal climbing and sprinting.

3. The ARC is an incredible singletrack machine, even more so than the Klein. Very responsive and feels superlight.

4. It just feels sturdier than the Klein without feeling any heavier.

I think that's about it. I love it.

·
Registered
804 Posts
DrPete said:

DrPete
I was thinking about bar ends just the other day while riding and came to the conclusion that there was not a single moment that I would have used them if I had them while on that trail. Granted this was a pure trail ride, all singletrack, all tech.

I do remember taking them off years ago and the only time I missed them since was on long road stretches getting to the trailhead, or the occasional long fireroad climb. In a way, I'd like to put them back on because some rides they would be useful, but I'd have to compromise by either making handlebar position narrower which I definitely do not want, or I'd need wider bars to keep the same position plus have room for the bar ends. Neither of those options is worth it to me at this point in life to make things more comfortable for what would be a small percentage of my ride time. Use 'em if that is what works for you, same goes for everything else from thumbshifters to toe clips, whatever floats your boat.

Not to get too sidetracked, but I am much happier now with my position, setup, and bike geometry than I was 10 years ago... no question. I don't know how I used to ride with 135mm x 0° stem, narrow flat bars with almost no sweep, twitchy fast head tube angle, etc. Some of the changes over the years have been beneficial for me. I weighed the pros and cons of bar ends for what I need on this type of bicycle and they just didn't make the cut.

·
Registered
213 Posts
bar ends

when i ride long on roads i find myself resting my palms on the end of my bars(in barend position) works the same. i Don't really feel any difference then when i used to ride with bar end(p.s. they were purple ano)

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
My barend experience lasted 1 ride. They found their way to a friend's bike...sucker.

Could never understand the concept or need for them. But if you like them and find them useful I don't think anyone will laugh at you, even if they are "so 5 years ago".

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
DrPete said:
What happened? Is there some fundamental reason NOT to use bar ends on riser bars, or is it just a cool-factor issue?

DrPete
Plenty of them still around. I use the Cane Creek Ergo bar ends.

Are bar ends uncool? Gee, ask one of the world's best mountain bike racers - Roland Green. Here he is at the 2004 Sea Otter short track race:

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/mtbr/gallery/pictures/rolandgreen(2).jpg

He's got a very "cool" podium record - all while using bar ends.

Forget about what is a "cool-factor" issue and use what you find to be the most comfortable set up for your own riding needs.

BB

·
Uhhhhh...
2,894 Posts
BruceBrown said:
Plenty of them still around. I use the Cane Creek Ergo bar ends.

Are bar ends uncool? Gee, ask one of the world's best mountain bike racers - Roland Green. Here he is at the 2004 Sea Otter short track race:

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/mtbr/gallery/pictures/rolandgreen(2).jpg

He's got a very "cool" podium record - all while using bar ends.

Forget about what is a "cool-factor" issue and use what you find to be the most comfortable set up for your own riding needs.

BB

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Personally, I don't get it. The more away from ends, that is...

In the past year or so, I have "adapted" my riding position to something a little more upright than the 3" bar drop, stretched out position of old, and (surprise to me) I like it.

But now, more than ever, my bikes beg for bar ends. Yeah, I like the choice of hand positions, but the real reason is so I can still get forward on the bike on the really shteep sit. Without 'em, I gotta work a little more than before to keep the front end down. With 'em, I can scratch up he loose stuff and more easily shift my CG more fluidly and over a wider range to keep just enough traction with the rear wheel yet keep the front wheel planted.

Big fan of the carbon stuff, LP Composites are a real favorite, especially their newer ergo stuff. Tried out the Supergo Weyless shorties with the thumb grips and I like them as well, but the old Icon shorties are still the shiznit. Not so keen on the Cane Creek ergos which don't get me much forward of the standard grip positions, although they're comfy if you're just looking for an extra hand position.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
I think I've regressed...

DrPete said:

DrPete
I have recently been scouring around for the old Bar and Bar End combos. Get my bar ends built into the bar! I still ride XC and can't dream of riding without bar ends. I've ridden other bikes without 'em and it doesn't feel right. I demo'ed a bike with rizers and reached for the non-existant bar ends, one of my more embarassing wrecks. :(

JmZ

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
I see bar ends all the time. I dont own any, but I do own a caloi bar and a klein stratum with the barends built on to them :p. Kleins kick @$$, so will you all please stop insulting them? Maybe not most of the Kleins after trek took over, but a real klein kicks arse. Back to the topic, you can get bar ends anywhere.

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
Funny, were not "risers" a feature of early mountain bikes during the era *preceding* bar ends? When bar ends were everywhere, riser bars (e.g. the first Gary Fisher models) were marks of a vintage bike.

Maybe bar ends are equivalent to the automotive rear wing. Once strictly functional and an essential component in competition, they fell out of favor when the grocery-getters included them as standard equipment.

I'm completely sold that half of bike "technology" reflects marketing and fashion more than engineering. That said, I do think rear-suspension progress and disc brakes are true developments over the last ten years. Can't wait to see what happens next...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.