Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced bearings on my Cannondale HeadShok and after putting it together I am unsure where this white screw goes, do I just screw it in underneath the black one from the plastic cap ? It seems to go in too much up to a point where it freely drops in the fork.
Thanks.

Attachments

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,470 Posts
Silver set screw is the preload adjustment for your spring. It goes in first, till it encounters resistance. At that point, going further, puts more pressure on the spring, stiffening it slightly, but in no way enough to go from one spring rate level to the next.

Maybe 1/2" of movement in, still too soft, you need a firmer spring.

Black is the one that holds the plastic top cover on.

A bit of grease on both, is HIGHLY recommended.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.
I didn't feel any resistance when trying to screw it in, so I think my spring is worn off / compressed too much by default.
I have one more, could this next part go there ? I found it after putting the bike together.
The bike was apart for a year or so, that is why the confusion about the remaining parts :confused:

Attachments

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,470 Posts
Looks like a bearing, one of the needle bearings, there's now 87 of them left inside the telescope.

No resistance? How far in did you screw it?

More than say, two inches?

You're missing your preload push rod.

Starting to look like a job you should hire out to get wrapped up properly, IMHO.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is way thicker than the needle bearing, around 2-3 mm in diameter, more or less the same thickness as that long axle that goes up/down in top of the spring. I did put it in :) But I wonder if this is like an extension of that, maybe different forks needed different axle length and this one had an extension/adjustment.

The screw went in a bit more than what is needed to make room for the black on on top, (half an inch maybe) should it go way more ? I felt it became loose and I was afraid I would drop it in the tube, so I unscrewed it back upwards.

I don't have tools here but I will test the screw again.

ps: I do know the needle bearings very well, I installed the 4 bearings ... :drumroll: myself
Hardest thing I did on a bike so far :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.