Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, bad title - I know the sealant goes in the tire. I mean, where does it go after that? What happens to it? I put 1.5 scoops of Stans in each tire when I bought the bike. 13 months later, I got a flat. I'd been hearing that sealant should be added every 3-6 months. I was sort of doing an experiment... and sort of didn't feel like adding sealant.

I reseated and sealed the rear, and added a scoop to the front. But, if the tire is sealed... where is the sealant going? Drying out? But it's sealed. I know some of that white residue left behind is some or most of it. So, does this mean that the tires are getting heavier and heavier... a scoop at a time?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Whenever you add air to a tire it is replacing air that has seeped out. The humidity in the tire is [was] 100%. So over time the volatile liquids find their way out and the solids are left either spread all over the place or in boogers. The amount of air is deceiving because it is compressed to maybe a third of its original volume or less.

I'd guess that due to the sidewalls becoming more impervious over time that the second shot would take longer to dry out. And consider that while the interior of the tire is getting heavier, the exterior is getting lighter...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts