Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new shifter for my old bike and was about to install it and run the cable and to my surprise it is much different and I can't find a way to run the cable through it. Has anyone seen this kind of shifter and if so how do I run the cable?

Also, on the top view of this shifter, what are the adjustment screws for?

Attachments

·
Foreign Entity
275 Posts
The adjustment screw on top of the shifter is for the brake lever, it is the reach adjustment for the lever.
If recollection serves me, the cable comes from the front side of the shifter below the brake lever (in the second photo where the forging mark is at the point the brake lever disappears into the housing), there is likely a small cap over where the cable enters the shifter body. You may have to shift the shifter through the gears to get the cable to line up and flow through easily.

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ray_from_SA said:
The adjustment screw on top of the shifter is for the brake lever, it is the reach adjustment for the lever.
If recollection serves me, the cable comes from the front side of the shifter below the brake lever (in the second photo where the forging mark is at the point the brake lever disappears into the housing), there is likely a small cap over where the cable enters the shifter body. You may have to shift the shifter through the gears to get the cable to line up and flow through easily.
I didn't see a cap but I did notice in the second picture that there seems to be the edge of a cap, possibly. So if it is a cap the cable should thread the same way as most shifters that just have a hole then, correct?

This may be a bigger project that I originally thought......

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
go to shimano europe to download pdf's.. http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/index.phtml
I'm not sure on those if you unscrew or pop off a cap where the cable enters the shifter or if at the high or low end of shifting you can see through the shifter an just put the cable through it (older style)... if that makes any sense.

iviguy said:
I didn't see a cap but I did notice in the second picture that there seems to be the edge of a cap, possibly. So if it is a cap the cable should thread the same way as most shifters that just have a hole then, correct?

This may be a bigger project that I originally thought......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.