Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on the total lack of mountain bike magazines at air port news stands, I can only assume that we are a very small percentage of the population. In perusing the offerings at multiple air port newstands, I found only one cycling magazine (Bicycling) in four separate airports last week.

I did find a magazine called "Juxtaposition" which covered art, more golf magazines than I ever imagined existed, and two different tattoo magazines sealed nicely in plastic bags. But absolutely 0 mountain bike mags.

Do we not fly?

·
wanna dance?
1,074 Posts
I do, but only in a hot air balloon I made myself out of a disused rowboat, feathers, some tar, an old blanket and a propeller I found down by the beach.

Really though, I haven't bought printed media in a decade.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
When you combine
- an expensive start-up cost (even a cheap entry level bike and helmet will run you $500)
- the need to FIND good singletrack
(not just any state park, but ACTUAL BIKING SINGLETRACK, which, for a potential newbie, is more challenging than finding a local golf course and very easy to get lost in once found)
- and the likelihood of bodily injury

I don't think mountain biking will ever be more than a niche sport.

I kinda like it that way.

·
one more time
539 Posts
Last time I flew out of Singapore Changi Airport both agents sold -

MBA
What Mountain Bike
Mountain Biking UK
Ride

If I remember correctly I picked up the last three - nothing like gorking at some sweet bikes to take your mind off the completely uncivilised misery of air travel!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Well I think mtbing has been growing in the last few years in my area. Ive actually seen some DH bikes around which are the hardest to spot imo, XC and trailbikes are increasing in number in the area but you have to have a keen eye for that stuff. It will probably always stay a small sport but I think that's good because it makes us appreciate where we ride and who we ride with much more. Plus its not one of those play because of business sports where the boss invites his co workers to play a company game. Riding weeds out the people that arent too interested anyways, so it will stay small in size in comparison to other mainstream sports. Airport newsstands might not even sell much of the more regular publications, so why sell something that might sell only maybe 5 copies a month? If I flew alot I would probably buy a bike mag if ive seen one but how many others will, you know what I mean? I wonder if the vancouver BC airport sells mtb mags there.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I couldn't find an MTB mag at the Philadelphia airport, but I found one at Denver International on the return trip.

I like where MTB is at right now. It's still a niche sport, and yet advocacy and acceptance is strong. It's become easy to find other riders and places to ride, and yet my favorite riding spots are never crowded. On the down side, bikes and gear have become ridiculously over-hyped and over-priced.

My other passion is skiing, but that became over-hyped, over-priced, and over-crowded a long time ago. BC skiing is quickly replacing lift-serviced for me.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
At CDG (paris) they always have a stack of magazines for free in the jetway as you get on the AA planes.

Last time it was an awesome MTB magazine (in french). I could only really work out the captions, I couldn't work through any of the stories, but it entertained me for one of the eight hours to dallas.

·
wannabee
1,134 Posts
I used to travel a lot 99-04 and found my first "Mountain Bike" mag at the PHX airport and it changed my life. Don't do airports anymore, too busy riding.:D

·
Registered
551 Posts
I have never seen an mtb magazine outside of my mailbox, definitely speaks to the popularity of mtb (in the big picture many more golfers so more golf magazines, tennis, etc.), though it seems to be catching in the Bay area from what I hear.

MTB has the potential to become much more than a niche sport, especially as people realize that it is so much more fun than golf.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
You mean Juxtapose - and its pretty good if you like that kinda thing. I've picked up bike mags at Mpls and Mwke airports in the past. I think the onus is usually on the distributor that puts the 'rags in the stores.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
i think theres a crapload of people who own mountain bikes, of which a lot actually ride them.. but very few of those people would do it enough to consider themselves "mountain bikers".

i think the sport of getting on a bike and riding it on dirt is pretty popular.. just not all that many people take it seriously, or dedicate a significant portion of their life/time to it.

·
Who's riding today?
1,398 Posts
Really can't judge the popularity of mtbiking based on airport schlock stores magazine inventory. If that were so, you'd think everyone owns a huge fast boat, expensive vacation homes and lots of clothes with plenty of time to peer in on the lives of others (People, US, etc).

When I fly, I pack my own lunch and bring my own reading materials.

·
Log off and go ride!
1,801 Posts
Because the Department of Homeland Security has determined that anyone who is a serious mountain biker is also a potential threat and is automatically placed on the TSA watch list. So we can't fly...

:)

·
I should be out riding
1,859 Posts
I usually see a better selection in the airports I frequent then in my grocery stores, but it does vary by airport.

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
Frozenspokes said:
Based on the total lack of mountain bike magazines at air port news stands, I can only assume that we are a very small percentage of the population. In perusing the offerings at multiple air port newstands, I found only one cycling magazine (Bicycling) in four separate airports last week.

I did find a magazine called "Juxtaposition" which covered art, more golf magazines than I ever imagined existed, and two different tattoo magazines sealed nicely in plastic bags. But absolutely 0 mountain bike mags.

Do we not fly?

surely you mean "Juxtapose", one of the greatest magazines ever created. i remember buying 'bike' magazine at an airport somehwere late last year or early this year. i also remember a few years ago, either bike or dirt rag ran an add laying out the details on what they make and from where. it stated emphatically that newstand subscriptions generate very little profit due to the amount of send-backs. it was letting readers know that individual subscriptions earn the magazine much more money, despite the lower than newstand price per issue. maybe most of the mtb community took the hint, and decided to not only better support their favoritte mags by subscribing, but help reduce waste at the same time.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
The supermarket where I usually buy my food has about a dozen magazines with flashy sports cars and about an equal number of magazines with naked ladies. There's four cycling magazines: two of them are MTB specific, one is road specific and one tries to cover everything.

When I step outside, I do not see any flashy sports cars, naked ladies or halfway decent bikes.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts