Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
The plough
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that used on this board, sooooooo often.

Is it just misspelling, or is this incorrect term actually used in some industry somewhere? No, I am not going to Google it as I would get thousands of false positives...from MTB boards everywhere :D

I have to say that I do not recall seeing the golden combo: "hydrolic break" recently.

V.

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
I suppose that phonetically it sounds correct to some. Hydraulic is the proper spelling, nothing funny going on here.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Yep, nothing funny.

In general, and not only limited to the US, is a trend of illiterates coming out of school and going into the world. Not only that, there is little to no respect paid to the simple art of being literate and maintaining literacy.

Long paragraphs that should be five, no punctuation to be found anywhere, and the expectation that people will understand the comment formatted in such a manner.

"Hydrolic" is one of those words. Related are people who know they have "hydrolic" brakes, yet keep referring to the hoses as cables. Powdercoat being referred to as "paint", anodization being referred to as "anodization paint", and many more.

I even see industry people typing here like this, including the word "break" when they mean "brake". Spelling is not needed to communicate, I guess.

·
meh... whatever
5,306 Posts
a few of the more common ones...

axel instead of axle

peddle instead of pedal

saddal instead of saddle

surley instead of surly

singulator instead of singleator

while researching a paper a few years back i found something on the web, namely the requirements to demonstrate proficiency on a 6th grade level. much of it would stump high school juniors/seniors today. i'll see if i can dig it up and post it.

personally, i find it greatly disturbing that the love of knowledge and learning is being supplanted on a wide scale level by mtv, video games, and reality tv.

i shudder for the future.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Don't forget that AIM chat and SMS language is replacing all written language.

I once graded a paper in an advanced college English course, and the paper was written in class as part of an assignment, and in pink ink. No worries, it was neat and clean and mostly written well, but without any level of sophistication.

The sentences were punctuated with "LOL", ":(", and ":)" .

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
People sometimes are putting so much effort into getting a point accross that they don't worry about grammar. I usually have to make a correction or two after posting. Most times I edit. Other times I don't.

Nothing to brag about, but funny: I once received a paper back from a history teacher that included this response - "What ever happened to the ancient and apparently lost tradition of proofreading?"

edited...

·
1946:2006:2066
1,458 Posts
not a mis-spelling: a mis-use

vmajor said:
I see that used on this board, sooooooo often.

Is it just misspelling, or is this incorrect term actually used in some industry somewhere? No, I am not going to Google it as I would get thousands of false positives...from MTB boards everywhere :D

I have to say that I do not recall seeing the golden combo: "hydrolic break" recently.

V.
Hydrology is a branch of Meteorology; hence the word Hydrolic.

Hydraulics is a branch of science or engineering.

Both words have a root derived from a word meaning water.

·
pedal pusher
2,712 Posts
rlouder said:
People sometimes are putting so much effort into getting a point accross that they don't worry about grammer. I usually have to make a correction or two after posting. Most times I edit. Other times I don't.

Nothing to brag about, but funny: I once received a paper back from a history teacher that included this response - "What ever happened to the ancient and apparently lost tradition of proofreading?"
sp: grammar ;)

As much as I hate seeing all the misspellings and lack of puncuation they, like bumper stickers and giant chrome wheels, help me better spot the morans of society, much like a giant billboard reading: "Don't take me seriously, as I'm a complete dolt!"

I find I don't have to think as much so long as they're advertising their lack of intelligence and knowledge.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
f3rg said:
sp: grammar ;)

As much as I hate seeing all the misspellings and lack of puncuation they, like bumper stickers and giant chrome wheels, help me better spot the morans of society, much like a giant billboard reading: "Don't take me seriously, as I'm a complete dolt!"

I find I don't have to think as much so long as they're advertising their lack of intelligence and knowledge.
You make a good point, but it comes across a bit smug. Be thankful you have the capacity and knowledge. Some of us dummies like to express our opinions, too and do the best we can.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
monogod said:
surley instead of surly
Surly you can't be serious.

Here are some actual writing standards taken from my State's content standards:

2.3. Write research reports about key ideas, issues, or events that

(1) frame question(s) that direct the investigation
(2) establish a controlling idea/topic
(3) develop the topic with simple facts, details, examples and explanations
(4) draw from more than one source of information (e.g., speakers, books, newspapers, media sources)

I know more than a few adults and young adults that would have trouble meeting these standards if they were required to write some sort of informational report. What troubles me most is that these are 5th grade standards.

·
The plough
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
f3rg said:
...help me better spot the morans of society, much like a giant billboard reading: "Don't take me seriously, as I'm a complete dolt!"

Its spelled "moron" :D

Otherwise, yes I concur that bad use of language, any language, is a workable coarse level filter to remove the seemingly obvious chaff.

This also reminds me of an old "comedy" skit in an old comedy show on Australian TV, where the main protagonist - bordering on clinically mentally handicapped, corrects a person that asked him: "Are you some kind of a cretin?". Our mentally challenged protagonist, responded with : "No, no, no, you mean crouton, C. R. O. U. T. O. N."

V.

·
Registered
17,534 Posts
I thought "hydrolic break" was a bathroom stop where you go tinkle:

As I breaked for a hydrolic in the meadow bucolic I spied a young lass frolic, which gave rise to my systolic.

·
meh... whatever
5,306 Posts
Nat said:
I thought "hydrolic break" was a bathroom stop where you go tinkle:

As I breaked for a hydrolic in the meadow bucolic I spied a young lass frolic, which gave rise to my systolic.
:lol:

WINNER!

not content with just one, you go and put two through the uprights! :p

well played, sir. well played.

·
meh... whatever
5,306 Posts
vmajor said:
Its spelled "moron" :D
actually, it's spelled "moran". def: someone too stupid to qualify as a moron. :cool:

oh, and i believe you meant "it's", as in the contraction of "it"+"is". "its" is the possessive form of "it". ;)

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
diggin the grammar time bit :)...

that being said... my spelling is horrid... and when i get online my syntax goes to hell... I type much like my brain dumps it out... which is why i use the "..." instead of proper punctuation ;-) I also blame it on being part of the early internet generation...

but even prior to that my freshmen year in a standardized test I managed an amazing 33% in spelling... everything else was well above average (1/2 the things being the highest @ 99% (figure that one out)

spelling isn't pushed after you get out of what 3rd or 4th grade... especially in this era of computers (thank you spell check) which doesn't always do the job but sure helps :)

that being said i want to thank foxfire with it's spelling checker... :)...

1 - 20 of 65 Posts