Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quickie guys - I've just bought myself a shiney new camera and am toying with the idea of where is best to carry it for (a) safety and (b) availability. Basically, I don't want to smash the thing up (obviously) yet I want to be able to whip it out fairly quickly to get some action shots etc without having to take off my camelbak each time. Any suggestions lads/lasses? - I thought about attaching it to my top chest strap on my camelbak so will look to get a case........but maybe there's a beter way?

cheers

·
Registered
3,544 Posts

·
Banned
4,137 Posts
I have a team of pygmies in thongs that carry my camera. If I am giving them the day off, I usually put it in a pocket, or a pack, or a pocket in a pack, or a case of some kind.

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,168 Posts
Well if you can find one used, ebay etc, the Camelbak shoulder strap pouch has worked very well for my point n shoot over the years. Not big enough for large cameras but very accessable, (I can get the camera out while riding and put it back in).

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
I have a metal bodied canon s50 that I use. It's more durable than my body (proved when I fell on directly on the camera and I was the only thing damaged) so I carry it in an exposed pocket of my original camelbak classic. I bought a M.U.L.E though and have a smaller digital camera that I intend to carry in the padded iPod pocket ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. I didn't realise that camelbak sell a pouch - will investigate (will also look for others that you've poited out - cheers). Regarding the MULE, i myself have one of those and did think about storing it in the ipod pouch, however it's really only good for an ipod (or anything else that doesn't need constant fettling) as it's behind your neck meaning removing your pack all the time to get at it.....

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
zzeNN said:
Thanks for the replies. I didn't realise that camelbak sell a pouch - will investigate (will also look for others that you've poited out - cheers). Regarding the MULE, i myself have one of those and did think about storing it in the ipod pouch, however it's really only good for an ipod (or anything else that doesn't need constant fettling) as it's behind your neck meaning removing your pack all the time to get at it.....
I don't take pictures while I'm riding (offroad) anyway so it's not a big deal for me ;)

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have (currently misplaced) a Canon SD450 little compact thing and used to have a GPS. I zip tied the GPS carrying case to my stem and usually stuff the camera in there.

There's some other threads about how to carry your camera somewhere.

-Rob

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Similar to trigeek, I have an SD800 and bought a small cell phone case for it that, while not a hard shell, has a decent amount of padding, and it doesn't move around at all. I button that on my left shoulder strap right above the chest strap so it stays in place. I had it around the waist belt, but it moved around quite a bit.

·
Ride Instigator
3,220 Posts
I picked up a cheapie little camera pouch for $4.99 and Walmart. It has a belt loop on the back so I hang it from the chest strap on my Camalbak. It has a velcro flap closure co I cam quick-draw with one hand even as I'm riding (s'long as I'm not on anything too technical:eekster: ).

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
My wife sewed a nylon loop on the arm strap of my camelback mule. I use a Lowe Pro camera bag that snuggly holds my Canon A620. I push the velcro strap on the back of the bag through the nylon loop to secure it. I love this setup and the weight and position of the camera have never been a problem. It also makes it much easier to access the camera than having to take off the camelbak each time to pull it out.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
amor587 said:
I just throw it in one of my cargo pockets of my shorts.
Wouldn't your legs hit it as you pedaled? I use Camelbak's phone pouch, but the older larger model. The new one is quite a bit thinner and I doubt I'd be able to fit my camera in it.

On the left shoulder strap:

·
Yummy
1,262 Posts
This question is asked approximately once per month. Use the search function.

Kn.

·
Yummy
1,262 Posts
Weird ... my first double post

·
Natural body armor
2,178 Posts
amor587 said:
I just throw it in one of my cargo pockets of my shorts.
Don't do it. I landed on my side after a high speed endo :eekster: and although the camera was fine it almost snapped my femur in two. I had a big bruise in the middle of the leg for two weeks.
Hard solid objects in cargo pockets = not good

Put your energy bars there....
ZT

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
I keep my DV cam in my pack when it's with me. I keep my DSLR in my pack when I carry it. When I have a small point and shoot, it goes either on the shoulder strap in a small case or on a belt case on the belt of the pack.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
29Colossus said:
I have a team of pygmies in thongs that carry my camera. If I am giving them the day off, I usually put it in a pocket, or a pack, or a pocket in a pack, or a case of some kind.
funny.........I put in a thick sock for protection then put it in a plastic bag to keep it from getting moist by the camelback water (condensation) .......camel back is perfect

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.