Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Georges seems to be the biggest place, but I have no experience with them or any other bike shops in the area. I don't like MCU for my skiing stuff so I kinda a little afraid to rely on them long term for bikes as well.

Any word on IMT, world cycle, bobs, georges? Anything I'm missing out there?

Thanks!

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,018 Posts
You need to narrow your question. Where to buy depends on what brand you're looking for and what you're willing to pay. (And you forgot G-Fit, Reed, Eastside, Meridian Cycles, Ken's, Joyride, Bikes2Boards, and probably other shops I'm also forgetting.) My experience is that nearly every shop in the valley has some good folks and will work with you.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I've had very good service at most of the local shops. Pick one that's convenient, close to you, has the brands you like, etc.

I frequent World Cycle, George's/GFit & Reed's most often. All great shops that are locally owned and are active and supportive members of the local cycling community and the Boise community as a whole.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Adding to the great input already given I'd pick a shop that has free after-sale service such as 1 year tune-up or free stem swaps for the life of the bike (huge for a newer rider dialing in positioning at the bar/stem).

Stay away from shops that charge ridiculous amounts to "thorn proof" the bike with Slime.....for $25 each wheel. Or something crazy like that. But honestly I can't think of any lowlife shop owners in Boise who do that (have experienced the upsell or hidden charges at other shops during college and earlier riding years).

Pick a brand of bike. Shop around. Ask questions such as "free tune-ups or stem swaps?" Buy local if possible.

·
jalepenio jimenez
852 Posts
I don't know about the rest of you, but imo the new bike price base for top-end rides is getting fu*king crazy. Every year there is a $300 - $500 bump in price for the latest/greatest technological advances in wheel design, fork innovations, componetry, etc...$450 for 2014 XTR 2X10 -crankset...RU shi**ing me?...and that's down from MSRP of $680. Yeah, that definitely makes it more affordable...I think I'll go out and buy a couple.
They're so unbelievably out of touch their nutsacks are probably MIA...
Good luck finding a bike - there are many good rides in a white mans price range to choose from, but if you're looking for top-end, may as well go to Colorado to get your fix, er, kill the pain.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.