Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
遅すぎ
431 Posts
If you have a trader joes near by, power bar & cliff/luna are always a dollar. Costco is usually even cheaper than that but you have to buy the bad flavors with the good and I don't think I've ever seen gel there. Target is cheap too (they're in the pharmacy section @ mine), but has a limited selection of stuff, although they have my favorite zone perfect for cheap. Also amazon is not bad if you do subscribe & save to get free shipping and knock 15% off.

·
The Punk Hucker
3,755 Posts
For bars, I buy Sun-Rype fruit bars from Costco, at around 60 cents each, they can't be beat and I find them better than any energy bar out there for ease of swallowing, calories and taste.

Gels are always a problem, those things are way too expensive... No hints from me in that regards.

·
No Clue Crew
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll have to check Costco again then. Everytime I've looked it seems they have the cases of "flavor tasters" with 4 or 5 flavors, and, as was pointed out, I usually only like ONE of the flavors. I'll look for the Sun-Rype bars. Never heard of them but for 60¢ I'll give it a shot.

We've got several Trader Joes around. I'll check there as well. I can stomach $1 each, full price of nearly $2 is ridiculous.

I'm not in love with the Gel/Gu type product but I figured if someone has a good price on PowerBars they probably have a similar discount on PowerGel.

·
Banned
2,665 Posts
Maybe this was the Dirtrag article:

http://www.dirtragmag.com/web/article.php?ID=422&category=web_only

If you Google search "DIY energy gels" you get a lot of good hits (like that one). Other recipes use brown rice syrup.

Also, Smart & Final usually has bars on sale at a good price, but I'm not impressed
with their selection.

·
Registered
110 Posts
i usually just pocket whatever, but i have a hook up from supplement guy. but you can buy stuff in bulk from online supplement stores and get good deals.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
big0mike said:
I usually try to wait until my local REI or grocery store has 'em on sale for $1 each and buy a boatload of them. That's not very often, though.

Where's a good place to buy them cheap?
Nope, usually the best price on gu gels or gummy treats are at my local grocery (kroger, publix) in the organic/health food section. I have heard Target also stocks some of the powerbar stuff for ~$1.

·
Fat Biker
426 Posts
Academy Sports & Outdoors regularly carries all flavors of Gu in 6 pack boxes for $5.69. That's less than a dollar each. They also have all flavors of Honey Stinger bars buy one get one free. They normally cost $1.19 each so now get two for that price. I loaded up!

H.E.B. grocery store regularly sells all flavors of Cliff Bars in 6 pack boxes for $5.89. They also have 12 pack multi-flavor boxes for around $11.00.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
REI, at their brick 'n' mortar location. They always have a bar & gel brand of the week, and they're pretty cheap. This way, you don't get sick of the same gels/bars each ride.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts