Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get in to bike touring, and I want to do some over night trips within ~60 or so miles from downtown richmond. what are some good places to go too? I know that pocahantas state park is pretty close by, but they charge about 20 bucks for camping. I have looked in to the Wildlife Management Areas, and you are allowed to camp for free on them, but I don't know if it is a good idea with people hunting on that land too.

Anybody have any recommendations on where is nice? I plan on doing either the blue ridge parkway and skyline drive or the c&o come may, but just want somethign to do until then.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Camp at the Fire Station in Mineral, VA. They let cross country cyclists camp there.

Going east you could always legit camp at chickahominy riverfront state park in James City County. Both rides are probably 50 miles or so away.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'll look in to chickahominy. does anybody know about the wildlife management areas and camping on them? i know its legal, just wondering if they are nice and safe from hunters etc.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
You can camp for free at Group Camp 7 at Pocahantas. Little known about, and you will need to ride your bike back there. It is a primative site so you won't be mingling with all the RVers.

PM me if you want some additional details.

·
Peg Leg Pedaler
31 Posts
i'll look in to chickahominy. does anybody know about the wildlife management areas and camping on them? i know its legal, just wondering if they are nice and safe from hunters etc.
I frequent there quite a bit actually. There's a shooting range there and there's also hunters. Not now though, as general firearms hunting season is over. even still, I don't think they're aloud to be there after dusk.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.