Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding an 06' Diamondback Coil EX for the last 4 years. From everything I've read about the bike, it's a beginner/wannabe DS bike. It was a gift from my ex girlfriend, so I can't really complain.

Recently, I've really gotten more into single track trail riding. While the bike has served me well, the cheap parts are really starting to suck. The brakes are horrible. The front forks are below average. I've also heard about the frames on this particular bike cracking. Last Saturday, my rear brakes totally went out, and I was left with only a front brake on a muddy trail. This combination led to a pretty bad fall, but other than some bumps and bruises, I'm okay. But this incident really got me wondering if I should either upgrade this bike, or sell it and buy a decent budget HT with a frame worth upgrading. We have no major downhill riding around here, so I really don't see the need to have a DS bike.

Most of my riding is done in south LA. Most of the tracks around here are pretty flat with some small jumps. I want to start taking my bike up north to some better trails, but I'm worried about taking this bike and it failing on me. I'm 215 pounds, and I'm worried about the design of the Y frame. I'm becoming more and more passionate about this sport, but I'm self employed in construction. I can't afford an injury due to crappy equipment.

I'm on a tight budget due to this oil spill and the uncertainty of the economy around here. I'm looking for advice about either upgrading what I have, or finding a better HT bike that is worth putting some money into, little by little. All advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

·
Granny Gear Guru
399 Posts
I would look on craigslist for a decent HT. Don't put money into that, put it on craigslist for a low price or put it in the back of the garage.

You'll get a better deal on a HT.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jdreher55 said:
I would look on craigslist for a decent HT. Don't put money into that, put it on craigslist for a low price or put it in the back of the garage.

You'll get a better deal on a HT.
How are you liking the Specialized Hard Rock? I had a Specialized back in early 2000's, but I sold it. It was a nice solid bike.

·
Granny Gear Guru
399 Posts
I can't really complain about it much, I wish I had spend the extra few dollars for the Hardrock Disc to handle the hills around here but it's been quite solid. I can't really pick out a better bike for the money.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts