Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to shim my brake rotor out from the hub (cannot shim the caliper inwards due to spoke collisions) and wondered if anyone has suggestions of where to find (or how to make) something better than six little caliper shims stuck betweeen the rotor and hub.

Is there any company that makes a shim to match the holes on a standard disc hub? No joy with Ringle or Shimano.

Cheers.
 

·
I already rode that
Joined
·
1,632 Posts
pipspeak said:
I need to shim my brake rotor out from the hub (cannot shim the caliper inwards due to spoke collisions) and wondered if anyone has suggestions of where to find (or how to make) something better than six little caliper shims stuck betweeen the rotor and hub.

Is there any company that makes a shim to match the holes on a standard disc hub? No joy with Ringle or Shimano.

Cheers.
Use the caliper shims shimano uses but use them on the rotor instead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was hoping...

... to find something easier than caliper shims cuz i need to double shim the rotor, which means I need 12 caliper shims and my lbs ain't got no more. :(
 

·
I already rode that
Joined
·
1,632 Posts
pipspeak said:
... to find something easier than caliper shims cuz i need to double shim the rotor, which means I need 12 caliper shims and my lbs ain't got no more. :(
I went to home depot and picked up some washers for my caliper. They are working fine for that but I dont really think they have the percision as the caliper shims bike shops sell. Homedepot also has these washers that are bent in a U shape and are fairly thin that I found usefull too for the caliper. I think they might be too big though, you would understand what I mean by big though if you seen it.

There's always mailorder...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
this is really a longshot , but I think I saw something like this from Syntace.

Call them ...use 618 395 2200 and ask for Syntace if that number is not right dial 618 393 2200 dont have a book here ...lol


brakemeister
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,207 Posts
You could also try the Shimano "tightening plates" that are really lock tabs: they go between the rotor bolts and the rotors and you bend them to lock the bolts in place.

They should be thick enough for what you want and you'll only need 3 of them. Not sure where you'll find them though.

Good luck

Wombat
 

·
slakDawg
Joined
·
469 Posts
I just use washers...

I went to Lowes and got a 12 pack of thin brass washers for about a $1, works good for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
rotor shims

Brakemeister said:
this is really a longshot , but I think I saw something like this from Syntace.

Call them ...use 618 395 2200 and ask for Syntace if that number is not right dial 618 393 2200 dont have a book here ...lol


brakemeister
Hey Guys,
You are correct, we (Syntace) does make the rotor shims, we sell them in packs of 8, are 0.2 mm thick, are the int. nat. standard 6-hole, weight is 1 gram and made out of stainless steel.

Check them out http://www.syntace.com/02_produkte/detail.cfm?artid=757 and feel free to give me a call at 618.395.6377 x29
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top