Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, this is probably a dumb question, but where did the name "Jamis" come from? I went to their website and read the "Our Story" section, but there was no mention. I just bought a Dragon frame because of all the good reviews I've heard.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Jamis bicycles was started in 1979 by "Ron Jamis". He sold the trademark in the early 80's to G. Joannou Cycle Company who at the time was a regional distributor of bikes and bike parts. GJC has been in the bike business in the USA since 1937.

Along with the Jamis trademark, GJC hired Greg Webber who had been with Jamis since the "early days" and is, to this day, one of the most respected product managers in the industry. Greg currently holds the title VP of Product Development for Jamis.

The company has grown tremendously over the years but we still stick to the original Jamis formula...no gimmicks...no gadgets...zero compromise. Everyone that works here knows that motto the day they start, and we all carry on the same the goal...build the best bikes we can at an honest price.

·
mtbr Decade+
1,545 Posts
Very nice touch...

I really admire the bike companies that monitor/frequent their particular forum. I think it is an excellent extension of customer service and public relations.

FWIW, I'm eyeballing a pair of Jamis bikes now, an exile XC and and XLT 1.0 and this response really makes me feel like I'm making a good decision.

Thank you,
Ed

·
"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
665 Posts
From the bike shop end, Jamis is by far my favorite company to deal with for orders, warranties, etc.

Wife rides a Dragon Comp, I'm buying a Dakota 29'er and a Coda to commute.

·
Glorified Hybrid Owner
1,091 Posts
I love Jamis because they make reasonably priced disc-only steel hardtails.

I'd love a disc-only steel cross bike sold as a frame only.

Can you get the Coda Disc as a frame only?

·
the goose is loose!
1,276 Posts
man i love my xlt, i'm glad Ron Jamis was born. it disappears under me and it's just an awesome experience, like it's an extension of my body....since birth. i can't stop saying enough about it. jamis is always gonna be on my list when i look for a new bike. i hope they are still around after im through college.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.