Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used wheelpro instructions throughout. I measrured erd to be exactly 542 as listed by the mfgr. I bought 261 and 264mm spokes by using the wheelpro calc results of 260.8 and 264.5, i measured the spoke and they are the correct length. Spokes and nipples are sapim from dan's comp. I am using a torch classic hub and used the dimentions from here http://www.industrynine.net/files/files/Torch_Flange_doc.pdf I measured the flanges to verify. The pic shown is front wheel with all nipples almost bottomed out, as you can see there is still plenty of slack. Same thing happen when i tried to lace the rear. Nipples aren't even pulling through the rim, no chance of getting any tension on the spokes. I am fairly(hopefull :) certain I laced 3 cross correctly.

I obviously did something wrong. Any help for a VERY frustrated first timer?
photo 1.jpg photo 2.jpg spokes.png

·
Registered
668 Posts
looks like you laced it wrong. On my 32h hubs, there are 6 spokes between "parallel" spokes on the same flange, you have 4.

I don't have the wheelpro book, so I can't give you the step, but what I think happened, is you put in the first set of spokes (heads out), then twisted the hub to put in the heads-in spokes, you didn't go far enough. On Sheldon's site, this step:

Wheelbuilding

Edit: or you could just say it this way:

Looks like you've laced it up 2x instead of 3x. I take it the spokes appear too long?

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Wow carbon rims and torch hubs for a first build. I too vote 2x. Try and use Sheldon Brown's lacing method and see if it comes out better.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the help guys! I got it sorted now. They came out perfect! 1662g's. Aired up tubeless with a hand pump, easily.

Attachments

·
turtles make me hot
11,484 Posts
I learned to build wheels reading Sheldon Brown. Works like a charm.

Nice looking wheel.

·
Chris Bling
2,585 Posts
I am glad the good guys got you sorted out. Sometimes wheels can be frustrating, but you will learn tricks and patterns the more you do it. Good job!

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Aloha, congrats, great job. Nice build. I learned to build wheels back in the 70's and have always enjoyed them.

Throw back story. My first "build" was replace a tweaked rim. I used string to tie all the crossed spokes together. Undid all the nips and put the new rim in place and put all the nips back on the spokes. Then I spent hours with the wheel in the frame and a crescent wrench truing the wheel out. I got so many miles and miles of happiness from the wheel...........Oh, the good 'ol days.........

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Best thing I did for my wheel building was pick up a Park spoke tension meter. Having even spoke tension will keep the wheel from going out of true quickly and you also know just how tight those spokes really are.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts