Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Student of the Bike
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been away from MTBR for a little while and when I came back to the forum I've found these changes (XC & Endurance being consolidated). I'm more of the endurance sort and back when it was its own forum it seemed fairly active. I recall through the summer season many posts and threads about all the cool races going on: Marji Gesik, BCBR, WT100, Breck Epic, Firecracker, Trans-sylvania Epic, and the list goes on... Heck there would be multiple threads leading up to Leadville about training, planning, logistics, pacing and such. I've been lurking around lately and I see virtually none of that.

It makes me ask, "where did everyone go"? Did something happen and I'm the last endurance racer in the US now??? ;)

Cheers,
CJB

·
monster member
1,212 Posts
I'm the opposite... haven't been on for like 4 weeks, and now popped in and there are a couple threads that I wanted to reply to, but they have like 10 pages of responses already so not gonna bother. Seems like this must be the only mtb forum on the planet or something.

·
Student of the Bike
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm the opposite... haven't been on for like 4 weeks, and now popped in and there are a couple threads that I wanted to reply to, but they have like 10 pages of responses already so not gonna bother. Seems like this must be the only mtb forum on the planet or something.
I suspect that might actually be part of the problem. If its a catch-all, then it becomes diluted and less useful for a specific group. For your target use it might get pages of posts....but mine seems like a ghost town (maybe?).

Later,
CJB

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
When they upgraded the forums they merged the endurance with the xc racing forum. From there on, the endurance folks pretty much went away. Back then the endurance forums had some good threads, but as time passed it started to be deserted, people would only post for specific races. In other words, the endurance topic is dead, though you can still post about it here, just no one does.

·
Formerly of Kent
14,151 Posts
Ebikes have taken over the endurance segment. People can go farther with a lot less effort but the purist have been bumped out or lost interest when someone on an ebike compares their efforts.
I'm giggling at the prospect of the average eBike rider running out of battery during a 100 mile ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Student of the Bike
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When they upgraded the forums they merged the endurance with the xc racing forum. From there on, the endurance folks pretty much went away. Back then the endurance forums had some good threads, but as time passed it started to be deserted, people would only post for specific races. In other words, the endurance topic is dead, though you can still post about it here, just no one does.
Thanks TFLover for chiming in, but you're pretty much re-stating my OP. I know I positioned my thread with a little tongue-n-cheek, but I was SERIOUS when I asked where everyone went. I sorta considered those 'my peeps' and I'd like to find out the channel, forum, FB page, or spot where they are congregating now. Both for personal reasons (I've got some targets over the next 12 mos I'd like to research)...and I also enjoyed seeing what everyone else had going on too. Yunno, it felt like home....

Cheers,
CJB

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Ebikes have taken over the endurance segment. People can go farther with a lot less effort, but the purist have been bumped out or lost interest when someone on an ebike compares their efforts.
Interesting point about Ebikes. When I was racing XC like 11 yrs ago, I would have loved to have an ebike. So often I was going up these moderate climbs in zone 3 to build endurance. It was boring. If I had an ebike, I could moderate the effort to stay in zone 3 and go faster using the motor. So, same speed as a full-on effort, but keeping it in zone 3.

As a bonus, you can take the ebike out on rest days and practice some DH skills.

·
Student of the Bike
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting point about Ebikes. When I was racing XC like 11 yrs ago, I would have loved to have an ebike. So often I was going up these moderate climbs in zone 3 to build endurance. It was boring. If I had an ebike, I could moderate the effort to stay in zone 3 and go faster using the motor. So, same speed as a full-on effort, but keeping it in zone 3.

As a bonus, you can take the ebike out on rest days and practice some DH skills.
Yo! Isn't there a forum for e-bike talk? ;)
-CJB

·
Registered
466 Posts

I know people that own e-bikes for this specific purpose. But for the cost of a good e-bike, I can get a really nice used motorcycle.

On topic: I like "endurance" topics, and wish the format invited more of those.

·
Student of the Bike
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now I think I get the (not so much of a) joke....any topic that gets started devolves into e-bike talk! F'n sux.

Someone point me to the active "training for Leadville" thread? (most generic endurance topic I could think of) Because, that's where I'd like to be.

Out,
-CJB

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.