Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i took my mtb out twice since we got all this snow. i road saddle river county park, which I prefer to run, albeit i think i only ran the whole 14 mile loop once. I also did river road, which is my favorite road loop. I added the ross dock climb to my weekday edition of the loop.

probably head over to hi mtn some time this week and either tourne or maybe camden county college on sunday if i head to south jersey

saddle river county park
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/61290542

river rd
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/61436593

switched back to the 100 mm rlc fork today:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RSabarese said:
I rode Morristown (Lewis-Morris) yesterday and other than a bit of ice, it was rideable.
i been wanting to ride at lewis morris for some time. especially since i missed the mountain man this year. Thanks for the heads up:thumbsup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
ramapo state forest

rode the yellow trail down from top of skyline to the lake. around the lake, up the hill towards the castle a bit, gas line, back to lake and back up.

nasty bumpy frozen ice, but ridable (slowly) the whole way

i did use chains. don't know if they helped much...

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nzwyhun said:
rode the yellow trail down from top of skyline to the lake. around the lake, up the hill towards the castle a bit, gas line, back to lake and back up.

nasty bumpy frozen ice, but ridable (slowly) the whole way

i did use chains. don't know if they helped much...
that's part of the loop i did a few saturdays with JerseyPete. we ride up canonball past the lake to castle cross power lines and blue trail back to canon ball

was gonna ride hi mtn today, from wpu down red to reservoir dr and take tarmac back but ended up riding county park again

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/62100402

1st ride with my rebuilt fox fork 100mm better on the 100mm travel epic i had a larger fork 140mm travel alough the grey fork mathed frame batter it was just too much travel, they couldn't fix the lock out but i adjusted the fork and road near lockout, readjusted setting and road down the stairs of the bridge at glen rock duck pond. maybe i need a blue seat, or just some blue tape on the bottom of the rear triangle:thumbsup:

·
Registered
459 Posts
isnt the saddle river county park trail mostly paved? or is there some deent singletrack? either way ill ride over there when i get the chance.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
saddle river counry park is mostly paved. the pic above (2 posts prior) is singletrack, but its a small piece next to the river near dunkerhook section, also grove park is adjacent to srcp has some trailaige. i probably head over there again this week end:thumbsup:
http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/61290542

·
Registered
459 Posts
if its nice sunday i might try to head over there soemtime in the middle of the day, if not maybe ill wait ti my february break from school, and maybe it will even be slightly warmer then, i really hate this sub freezing weather...its harder to justify biking to myself when i gotta bundle up so much that i look like a snow man (practically)...

·
Registered
59 Posts
henry9419 said:
and 14.25 miles...is that round trip or one way?
That is round trip miles from one end to the other and back. I did JKmacman's loop this morning. Sorry, no GPS this time, just odometer on the bike. Get there at sun up, as people fill the path fast as morning comes on.

Hoping to get back on Ramapo and Cannonball as soon as the trails freeze and firm up, or get washed down with rain on Tuesday then firm up. I need woods.

BTW, nice new ride JK. Best wishes with it.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jersey_Pete said:
That is round trip miles from one end to the other and back. I did JKmacman's loop this morning. Sorry, no GPS this time, just odometer on the bike. Get there at sun up, as people fill the path fast as morning comes on.

Hoping to get back on Ramapo and Cannonball as soon as the trails freeze and firm up, or get washed down with rain on Tuesday then firm up. I need woods.

BTW, nice new ride JK. Best wishes with it.
did my meadowland ride again today, didn't have time to get over to saddle river park or river road

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/63747107

·
Registered
17 Posts
ramapo state forest on sunday

did the yellow trail down to the lake, around the lake, and up to the castle, and walked up cannonball ot the lot

actually all ridable except cannonball. the snow was packed enough by hikers. I took the chains off this time (mistake), but a great workout and balance (need to stay in the 6" center of the packed area) training session.

when it freezes up solid it could be great this weekend.

i need to go to sears hardware and get some sheet metal screws ans make up a set of studded tires for the ice slicks...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ramapo after Monday's snow/ice

I was up there today (Jan 20th) and barely made it around the back end of the lake. Plenty of foot traffic prints around the lake, but mine were the only mtn bike tacks since Monday's snow and ice storm. I would still say the trails are not ridable just yet. I came up from the 287 bridge and there were no tracks at all to the back of the lake, but the snow was packed from previous hikers prior to the last storm. It is still a mess.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was just thinking the same thing. The temps are supposed to be close to 50 by Sunday and I was hoping to get my new bike out for a ride. Has anyone been out at six mile resevour recently? Was thinking about heading down there Sunday.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Allamuchy north is spectacular, if you've got studded tires. It's been 2 years since the snow riding has been this good, actually I should say ice riding. It's fast flowing and smooth. I'll be in the 'mooch tomorrow early AM.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
unstud

hitting the tarmac saturday. was looking for some trailage sunday sans studs. i was actually thinking about doing allamuchty allegory (road) ride sunday, but i'd like to try out my epic. haven't riden it yet in the woods yet w/my old 100 mm fox. was thinking tourne would be good to go but i have all day and would like to mtb longer. one thing about the snow. it hit the whole state. my inlaws at the bottom of the state got as much snow if not more then us north jersey folks:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I'm planning to try Lewis Morris Sunday with my 7 year-old. Someone sent me a phone photo from 287 in Morristown and hopefully by Sunday there will not be much snow left.

·
Registered
755 Posts
RSabarese said:
I'm planning to try Lewis Morris Sunday with my 7 year-old. Someone sent me a phone photo from 287 in Morristown and hopefully by Sunday there will not be much snow left.
That might be a bit too optimistic. Mendham has 18+"'s of frozen snow and ice on the ground. It's going to be a long time before trails are cleared of this frozen white asphalt.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.