Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 Hollowpoint Sport, love the bike, but want to shed some weight. Where is the best place to start? I haven't weighed any of the parts, I was kind of hoping to leech off of someone who has already done this :D

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Some thoughts:

Spend several hours looking through the save some weight forum. Look out for the components that come up a lot. You can easily spend way too much money searching for the ellusive gram. Personally I like the budget weight weenie stuff. Those jewel items that are light but not terribly expensive.

Like everyone said rotational weight is the most noticed over purely static weight.

Wheels
No tubes or other tubeless conversion used with non -UST tires
Light XC tires
Rotors

Here is a post I did last year on a relatively light wheelset for relatively cheap:
http://ashwinearl.blogspot.com/2005/02/how-to-build-almost-1500g-wheelset-for.html But this is for V brakes. You will need a disc wheeset for the HP.

Bottom bracket, crankset, rings

Ti bolts for some of those big bolts in the suspension might add up.

It's all a compromise and if you put on pure XC light parts then you won't be able to ride the Hollowpoint like it should. And stuff will break.

For me, I go through phases of weight weenism where I try like hell to cut weight, then I lose interest and move on to something else. My current HP is relatively light to other HPs but not so compared to a tricked out Racer X. The thing that slows me down the most is the front fork is too cushy. But going downhill is oh so fun on it. Like I said. compromises.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts