Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Kawasaki, Kanagawa, Japan, and I recently purchased a Giant Rock 5000 (non-disc brake model) and aside from a Cat’s Eye light, it is exactly as it came out of the box.

The English instructions say to use Teflon Oil on the front suspension, but all of the Japanese bike stores I go to says they don’t sell any maintenance products that are suitable for the front suspension. One place recommended I buy a tiny $60 bottle of lubricating fluid that’s recommended for high end motorcycle engines…

The bike fork is a SR SUNTOUR XC60 75mm (Stroke?), and if anyone knows of a very suitable oil/spray/lubricant for maintaining the bike's front suspension , I would be very interested in knowing about it. It has to be something I can either buy in Japan or can order online and have shipped here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Master Of Fooliganism
483 Posts
hummm....

peteer01 said:
I live in Kawasaki, Kanagawa, Japan, and I recently purchased a Giant Rock 5000 (non-disc brake model) and aside from a Cat?s Eye light, it is exactly as it came out of the box.

The English instructions say to use Teflon Oil on the front suspension, but all of the Japanese bike stores I go to says they don?t sell any maintenance products that are suitable for the front suspension. One place recommended I buy a tiny $60 bottle of lubricating fluid that?s recommended for high end motorcycle engines?

The bike fork is a SR SUNTOUR XC60 75mm (Stroke?), and if anyone knows of a very suitable oil/spray/lubricant for maintaining the bike's front suspension , I would be very interested in knowing about it. It has to be something I can either buy in Japan or can order online and have shipped here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
What the instructions are asking for is a lube that you can use every once in a while on the stanchion tubes. Every once in a while being the operative words. It's something that isn't done all that often, but on the rare occasion when I've done it I've used a silcone oil (try Makemon or some other DIY type store) or a light lube (like Tri-flow). If you didn't do it, you probably wouldn't suffer any ill effects.

Do you have a "Sports Depo" anywhere around you? I seem to remember that they a fairly good selection of bike lubes. Maybe Tokyu Hands also?

If you are worried, try and send them an email. Both at the USA address and the Taiwan ROC and ask for more specifics. See what they say.

Oni

PS and if you do lube it, it's a skoshi of oil. Just a tiny bit around the seals. Then work the fork to get the oil down around the seal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Check out this link....

I just ordered some from here... don't know about the quality (hasn't arrived yet) but they have multiple weights to suit your manufacter's requirements (You'll have to find out what weight you need for you fork.). Oh... I just re-read your post... I think you're looking for a lubricant spray to put on your stanctions (the part that slides into the bottom of the fork). I think they have that too.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?modelID=112

I've used this place before... they get the order out quick and send you the tracking number via email.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have a "Sports Depo" anywhere around you? I seem to remember that they a fairly good selection of bike lubes. Maybe Tokyu Hands also?
Tokyu Hands was the place with a pretty good selection that recommended I buy the tiny bottle of $60 high performance motorcycle engine lubricant. I'll probably stop by a DIY store near my fiancee's parents house during golden week, since they'll probably have the same/better selection as Tokyo Hands for cheaper.

PS and if you do lube it, it's a skoshi of oil. Just a tiny bit around the seals. Then work the fork to get the oil down around the seal.
Got it. Thank you very much for the advice...and it's nice to know I can probably take my time in getting around to it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.