Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I wonder why?
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm trying to find a ti spring (#350 x 2.50) for my CCDB.

I spoke with Cane Creek and they will not be stocking ti springs anymore.

Renton Springs is out of stock and will not be producing anymore for at least 9 months (all of their distributors are out of stock as well).

Go-Ride is out of stock.

The ID of the Progressive springs is too small 1.4" the CCDB needs 1.42" - 1.43".

Obtainium springs appear to be too long (with 1.42" ID adapters).

Does anyone have any suggestions or has a #350 spring become a dinosaur?:madman:

Thanks.

i1dry?

·
I wonder why?
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
woodyak said:
I'm using a Progressive TI spring on mine and it's fine. Sure there is a little rub but nothing that damages the shock. I e-mailed CC about it and they told me that if I didn't mind the rub that I'd be fine.
Thanks Woodyak.....are you getting any squeeking with the rub?

i1dry?

·
I wonder why?
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
woodyak said:
Nope, no noise at all. I can't stand bike noise when I'm riding.

I forgot to mention CC makes a little plastic cover that protects the body of the shock as well. Malcolm sent me one but I haven't put it on yet.
Great, sounds like I'll have to give it a try.:D

I'll give Malcolm a call, he's machining me some spacers for the linkage end of the shock.

Thanks again.:thumbsup:

i1dry?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
The sleeve is too big for the already tight space between the shock body and the Ti spring. I have the exact spring that you wnat and that Yak has. It does rub a little but,it only rubs the threads, that you don't need, a little. Good luck! I can't wait to see it on your already great looking steed.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
woodyak said:
Nope, no noise at all. I can't stand bike noise when I'm riding.

I forgot to mention CC makes a little plastic cover that protects the body of the shock as well. Malcolm sent me one but I haven't put it on yet.
i have not heard of this cover. is it something that everyone should use? or just with springs that don't quite fit right?

thanks

mx

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
i1dry said:
I'm trying to find a ti spring (#350 x 2.50) for my CCDB.

I spoke with Cane Creek and they will not be stocking ti springs anymore.

Renton Springs is out of stock and will not be producing anymore for at least 9 months (all of their distributors are out of stock as well).

Go-Ride is out of stock.

The ID of the Progressive springs is too small 1.4" the CCDB needs 1.42" - 1.43".

Obtanimum springs appear to be too long (with 1.42" ID adapters).

Does anyone have any suggestions or has a #350 spring become a dinosaur?:madman:

Thanks.

i1dry?
there are a plethora of custom spring manufacturers out there...but it will cost money. if you want any of the links let me know and i will post them here

mx

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
A few years ago before the Ti spring craze I was looking to get Ti springs made for my boxxer and NO one other than Renton was willing to make them.
When you contact most spring makers they think you are crazy and then also tell you that it is crazy hard to make a Ti spring. Best answer I was told is that it does "crazy stuff when you twist it".

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
boogenman said:
A few years ago before the Ti spring craze I was looking to get Ti springs made for my boxxer and NO one other than Renton was willing to make them.
When you contact most spring makers they think you are crazy and then also tell you that it is crazy hard to make a Ti spring. Best answer I was told is that it does "crazy stuff when you twist it".
i found maybe 4-6 places willing to do it....but the price was high. in addition, it is best if you can just send them the steel spring for them to measure off of. i guess you could just send the measurements too

mx

·
I wonder why?
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mx_599 said:
there are a plethora of custom spring manufacturers out there...but it will cost money. if you want any of the links let me know and i will post them here

mx
Thanks MX.:thumbsup:

I'll keep your offer in mind. I'm waiting for Obtainium to get back to me.

i1dry?

·
I wonder why?
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dominator13 said:
The sleeve is too big for the already tight space between the shock body and the Ti spring. I have the exact spring that you wnat and that Yak has. It does rub a little but,it only rubs the threads, that you don't need, a little. Good luck! I can't wait to see it on your already great looking steed.
Great Dom, thank for the heads up on the Progressive Spring.:thumbsup: Instead of the sleeve, I have some very tough clear tape that I may try instead.

i1dry?

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
I have 375lbsx2.5" RCS Ti spring that is practically new if you are interested. It's not 350lbs though. I bought it for my Swinger shock but it ended up being way too over sprung for my weight.

·
I wonder why?
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SingleTrackHound said:
I have 375lbsx2.5" RCS Ti spring that is practically new if you are interested. It's not 350lbs though. I bought it for my Swinger shock but it ended up being way too over sprung for my weight.
Thanks but, I really need a 350 lb spring, at 375 lbs. the shock would be over-sprung for my weight.:D

i1dry?

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
Not as bad as my case. I misestimated by 75lbs.:D

I ended up buying Progressive Ti spring from Ebay. It was a tight fit for my Swinger shock though. ID was smaller than my RCS so it would not even fit into the both ends of spring collar. I ended up removing some spring material where the preload collar inserts by using carbide bit and drill. And yes I did notice some spring rub on the shock damper body. I rotated the spring 1/4 turn and no more rub.

·
No known cure
5,930 Posts
I ordered and received mine last December. At the end of the season I'm shipping mine back for a rebuild, and to have the body swapped out, which will most likely be gold.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.