Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building up a late 90s Mountain cycle. I am after a ProStop 2 caliper and rotor for the rear.
Surely someone knows where i can get 1.
One question while i am on that. Is there such a thing as a front and rear Prostop 2 caliper. Or are they all the same size and spacing etc?

Would love to hear from anyone that could put me on to any leads
Please help.
Josh

·
Bandolero
2,438 Posts
MC Forum?

ozbmx said:
I am building up a late 90s Mountain cycle. I am after a ProStop 2 caliper and rotor for the rear.
Surely someone knows where i can get 1.
One question while i am on that. Is there such a thing as a front and rear Prostop 2 caliper. Or are they all the same size and spacing etc?

Would love to hear from anyone that could put me on to any leads
Please help.
Josh
I noticed there's a new forum for Mountain Cycles as of 2 weeks ago.

Once upon a time, I think there was an adapter for MC that allowed the use of IS discs.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks CraigH.
I will let you know if i find somthing lewke. Did you buy the prostop 2 caliper that was on ebay. About a month ago, that didnt come with adpater etc?
If you come across one or find the store let me know CraigH

·
Registered
199 Posts
No, I've had mine for a while, but had an adapter to fit an old Marzocchi fork before the International Standard was around. I eventually found an adapter for International Standard on ebay, but my buddy also has the same setup as me, so I'm keeping an eye out for him basically.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have posted a pic of the brakes

Thanks CraigH. They seem to have alot of old stock left which is good. I will contact them and see how it goes.
Even if you come across the caliper only i would be keen. As i see they have the rotor on cambria.
Can you send or post a pic of youre prostop 2 brakes with ISO mount etc lewke?
Josh

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for that rockyuphill. Interesting to learn about the fluid expansion. So when they got realy hot and the fluid expanded did this cause the pads to lock on?
Would the first gen ones still be fine for general riding around? Or are they a bit dicey
josh

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sorry didn't get home till late so no pictures yet, but it looks similiar to the one posted except mine is a first generation I think, although its black.

No problems with fluid expansion in the past 5 years

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ahh ok. The prostop 2 came with a floating caliper, and supposedly mounting brackets etc.
Thanks CraigH i did find someone that still is selling them.Like you said Cambria bikes. I dont know if they are the front or rear set. But i will let you all know,
They are going to get a pic and info on what they come with.
One problem is the price. They still want, like, $250 even though it is 10 years old technology.

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
ozbmx said:
Thanks for that rockyuphill. Interesting to learn about the fluid expansion. So when they got realy hot and the fluid expanded did this cause the pads to lock on?
Would the first gen ones still be fine for general riding around? Or are they a bit dicey
josh
It was the downhillers that had problems with the first versions, I used to ride my San Andreas for XC and couldn't even get the brake rotors warm to the touch, they're so huge compared to the dinky little rotors on disc brakes these days, a 9"x 1/8" aluminium front rotor and 8" x 1/8" rear rotor had so much extra stopping power for XC use.

The only thing you do had to get used to is the skate sharpener sound while riding. Because the first version rotors are full floating they tend to rub lightly on the pads. It didn't produce any significant drag, but the noise used to annoy the people I rode with more than me, so I guess they thought it was a drag.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, Great, yeah mine wont be used for down hill or anything.
Tell me do you know if the pro stop 2 brakes use the same width mounts eg like the spacing between the mounting bolts. Or are they like some brakes today that use 51mm on the back and 74 on the front. I do know that the brackets would be higher or lower to acomadate the size difference in rotors. I have a feeling that the pro stop 2 brakes come with correct mounting brackets to fit IS without any modification.
Let me know if you have heard or now anything about that?
Josh

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
Here's a shot of the original mounting tab on the Suspenders fork with 1.125" bolt centers, pretty much proprietary. The ProStop calipers had adapters for other standards as they developed. I know I bought an adapter from MC to allow the ProStop caliper to fit on a Rock Shox fork with standard IS mounts around 1999.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Kool. Thanks rocky. The mounts are certainly alot smaller then todays standard.
Ok guys i found out cambria bikes has a prostop 2 disc brake. One problem it is a front brake set and i am after a rear. Does anyone know where i can get a rear bracket adapter for the caliper?
Josh

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Pic of Pro Stop 2 front brake set at cambia bikes

Ok guys, this is the Pros stop 2 disc brake set at cambia bikes. As i mentioned it is a front set. Anyone know where i can get a bracket/adaptor from to suite a rear IS?.
Josh

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts