Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
veldrijder
1,083 Posts
Most medium size shops and bigger will have the tool, I would think. Don't be surprised if you are quoted 3-4 hours at the shop rate, though if they are familiar with King hubs they'll get it through quicker and the charge should reflect that.

It's not a bad job to do at all, with the King service tools.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
< hijack >

jmoote: How have your hubs been holding up on the TN mtb? Did they develop any play during the initial work-in? Just curious as I have been planning to purchase a SS hubset from them for a new build. You can read a million praises and knocks from people all over mtbr, but its always better to hear it from someone you know!

I know Cheers on here, had nothing buy great things to say about them based on his and a close friends experience.

< /hijack >

Let us know where you end up going! I'd be curious to see how much and who can do the service.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I can definitely do the work (Solutions, Kingston Rd). There are basically two ways to do it, one more and one less involved.

option 1) Remove axle, cassette, pull off FH body, clean and lube helical splines, clean/lube ring drive best possible (a little difficult to get at)

option 2) do all of the above, PLUS completely remove large drive side bearing and complete ring drive assembly, clean, relube, re-press, reassemble.

Will probably cost in the neighbourhood of $25/60 respectively.

Andrew

·
veldrijder
1,083 Posts
nspace said:
< hijack >

jmoote: How have your hubs been holding up on the TN mtb? Did they develop any play during the initial work-in? Just curious as I have been planning to purchase a SS hubset from them for a new build. You can read a million praises and knocks from people all over mtbr, but its always better to hear it from someone you know!

I know Cheers on here, had nothing buy great things to say about them based on his and a close friends experience.

< /hijack >
No problems. I lubed the ringdrive in situ a couple times and regreased the bearings at about 8 months (since last year was a wet season). I fully serviced them after 1-1.5 years (last week); they were dirty and one of the bearings was a bit dry but they are good as new now.

During break in you may have to readjust the bearings but this is easy to do in about 30 seconds.

·
veldrijder
1,083 Posts
Just curious Andrew, do either of those methods and corresponding rates include flushing and repacking all 6 bearings (4 driveshell bearings and the 2 in the freehub)? To me that is part of the full servicing (like you'd do when doing option 2) and I am very surprised if you only charge $60 when doing that as well. If so, everyone run to CS and get your hubs serviced!

·
Registered
788 Posts
jmoote said:
Just curious Andrew, do either of those methods and corresponding rates include flushing and repacking all 6 bearings (4 driveshell bearings and the 2 in the freehub)? To me that is part of the full servicing (like you'd do when doing option 2) and I am very surprised if you only charge $60 when doing that as well. If so, everyone run to CS and get your hubs serviced!
No, I that would not include the bearing repacks, or removal of the bearings from the FH body period, but as I would be removing the outer FH bearing I would probably repack that for not a whole lotta extra dough. The quoted price would be for the ring-drive maintenance only.

·
veldrijder
1,083 Posts
Got it, that's cool. Not a bad option for someone who doesn't have the King tools since you can re-pack the bearings yourself without removing them (though it's easier with them out and you can clean the hub shell better).

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
i've owned at least 3 king wheelsets and i always meant to buy the tool but i never got around to it. now i have none and i'm glad i do not have the tool.

·
Registered
788 Posts
In real time, 60-90 minutes mostly dependent on variables like phone calls for me and how jammed your cassette is on your freehub body. Lead times are not too bad right now so with a little bit of notice your wait shouldn't be a whole lot longer than that. (we have seen a bit of an increase in repairs with the non-freezing temps, though)

·
Sweet Monkey Tuesday!
151 Posts
I'd definitely recommend going to a shop that regularly does King service, or you trust. I know a guy who sent a King hub to a smaller shop twice - paid $100 twice - and still had to send it to a larger shop to be done correctly, where they discovered that some parts had been missed on reassembly.

The bigger shop that helped him out was Cycle Solutions and that's who I'd recommend - but I'm a little biased

·
Registered
788 Posts
Don't worry Tom, I see a decent amount of hubs for service, but the term NEED is relative. A King R hub is a big investment so a lot of folks are a bit more inclined to have them serviced regularly as a preventative measure, not because they are malfunctioning.

And as I pointed out (well, implied) above, you can do a cursory cleaning and lubrication without removing the bearings or ring drive assembly. All this requires is an allen key set (2 5mms or I think a 2mm depending on your hub model), cassette and disc rotor removal tools.

·
No. Just No.
5,356 Posts
nspace said:
Awesome. I have all of that in the toolbox :)

Thx Andrew!
Only going from my personal experience, but the value King hub isn't because it requires less maintenance than other performance hubs, but instead that if it's adjusted properly and given a general once-over at appropriate service cycles, then I trust it more than any other hub mech to get me from A-B. The hubs are well-sealed, and the drive mech is a no-brainer to maintain integrity. The only weakness - in the context of standard XC riding - to a properly adjusted King hub is that in very cold weather conditions it's sometimes necessary to wipe down the ring drive and reapply a ligher oil instead, otherwise thicker lube can lead to issues with engagement with the small teeth/splines in the ring drive.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.