Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Where can I find frame weights of IH frames?

1K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  yoonior 
#1 ·
#5 · (Edited)
yoonior said:
I've seen somewhere (can't recall exactly where) claimed frame weight of medium 7 Points 2005/6 as 4.7kg (10.5lbs). If 2007 models are about to be 1.5lbs lighter, this means 2007 7 Point 7 frameset can weight 9.0lbs/4.1kg.
I'm interested too.

For '07 is the 6Point frame without shock the same as the 7Point without shock?

#6 ·
derby said:
I'm interested too.

For '07 is the 6Point frame without shock the same as the 7Point without shock?
Do you mean 6point with shock?

The 6p front triangle is significantly lighter looking than the p7. All the tubes are smaller diameter. I'd guess because of that those two frames sans shocks would be at least a lb different in weight.

BTW, I weighed a friends large 05 7p w/5th element at ~10.5 lbs.

#9 ·
.Danno. said:
BTW, I weighed a friends large 05 7p w/5th element at ~10.5 lbs.
eurotrash said:
medium 6 point fram with dhx air 5 3.76Kg 8.26lbs
If a big DHX Coil is about 1.5 lbs (maybe closer to 2lbs) heavier than DHX Air then:

(05 7p w/5th element at ~10.5) - (6 point frame with dhx air 5 3.76Kg 8.26lbs s) = 2.75 difference

minus 1.5 lb. coil weight difference = only 1.25 lbs (or maybe less) difference with the same shock

The '07 7Point is supposed to be 1 lb. lighter than the '05, so the 6Point frame should be within .25 lb of the '07 7Point with the same shock.

(I like coil suspension much better than air for XC riding, so the 7Point makes even more sense for me to buy than a 6Point for AM use.)

#10 ·
derby said:
If a big DHX Coil is about 1.5 lbs (maybe closer to 2lbs) heavier than DHX Air then:

(05 7p w/5th element at ~10.5) - (6 point frame with dhx air 5 3.76Kg 8.26lbs s) = 2.75 difference

minus 1.5 lb. coil weight difference = only 1.25 lbs (or maybe less) difference with the same shock

The '07 7Point is supposed to be 1 lb. lighter than the '05, so the 6Point frame should be within .25 lb of the '07 7Point with the same shock.

(I like coil suspension much better than air for XC riding, so the 7Point makes even more sense for me to buy than a 6Point for AM use.)
on the other hand, this implies that the 6point is nearly as strong as the new 7point. my guess would be that the triple butted tubing thickness' are the same, but the diameters are obviously different. the headtube on the 7point, i believe is thicker. and the 7point has a gusset at the headtube.

assuming the top and down tube thickness are the same, and given the same seat tube, links and rear triangles, the biggest difference is that the 7point is able to have a daul crown fork, where as the 6point is limited to a single crown.

there must be a slight weight difference between the two, but i bet it's minimal.
i personally, prefer the asthetics of the 6point, tho.

#12 ·
derby said:
see, i've allready got an 8.75x2.5 roco that i can/will use on my 6point frame, so i was stoked on the air shock option.
ultimately, the biggest difference comes down to component build up. if you compare complete packages offered by IH, there's a huge difference, while the frames are very similar.

#13 ·
sriracha said:
see, i've allready got an 8.75x2.5 roco that i can/will use on my 6point frame, so i was stoked on the air shock option.
ultimately, the biggest difference comes down to component build up. if you compare complete packages offered by IH, there's a huge difference, while the frames are very similar.
Unless the tubing is waaay thiner on the 7p I can't believe that the frames are almost the same weight. Something just doesn't add up for me.

#16 ·
bikerx40 said:
I thought that DW said they were 7.2 lbs for a medium with DHX-A?! Did they gain a pound in production?
mine weighed in right around 8 pounds w/dhxair +/-. however, i question the accuracy of the potatoe scale i used.
regardless, the weight feels perfect to me, for it's intended purpose. i wouldn't want it any lighter. if you want lighter, maybe the MKlll is what you're looking for.

#17 ·
sriracha said:
mine weighed in right around 8 pounds w/dhxair +/-. however, i question the accuracy of the potatoe scale i used.
regardless, the weight feels perfect to me, for it's intended purpose. i wouldn't want it any lighter. if you want lighter, maybe the MKlll is what you're looking for.
It just seems like IH is 1lb heavier than the competition for a given category every year. 06 MK3 was 7.5 lbs w/ shock, versus 6-6.5 for a 5-spot of 575, etc. This year, the 6pt is 8.25 and the RFX is 7.2, Nomad and Intense 6.6 are 7.5 'ish. Why can't they keep the weight in the same ballpark as the competition for the same category?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.