Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone point me to a tool/ socket to remove an old SLX M665 crank cap? I have a brand-X shimano bb tool that came with a piece to remove the cap but it stripped badly.

For removing the cap on the non drive side of the cranks.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,869 Posts
Can't get a grab along the knurled edge with some pliers, etc?

Could just jam a large screwdriver or similar into the 'socket'. It's trashed anyway right, so nothing to lose.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can't get a grab along the knurled edge with some pliers, etc?

Could just jam a large screwdriver or similar into the 'socket'. It's trashed anyway right, so nothing to lose.
Yeah maybe I could cobble something together using the torn up "socket". Basically the little black piece on this tool stripped where it goes together on the tool. So it still fits in the cap on the crank but it is serious pain in the ass to get a hold of. https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/x-tools-pro-shimano-bottom-bracket-wrench/rp-prod55935

·
Registered
11,869 Posts
Ah...I thought the cap on the cranks was stripped out, rather than the tool.

Could still probably get away with using a large flathead; might chew up the cap some, but those things deserve it. :)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Forgive me for asking, but did you loosen the crank arm pinch bolts?
Yeah. I just don't think that tool was the best design. I got the part out but the tool is kind of crap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.