Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend is our first mtn biking trip out of the desert this summer!* We're going up to Flagstaff to check out some new trails (if we can find them!) and ride our faves.* Can't wait for the smell of pine forest and cool(er) breeze on my skin.* For the first time in months we can sleep in, sit around drink coffee, eat, rest then go out for an epic 4+ hour ride; instead up rushing out the door to be at the trailhead by 5:30.

I've been sitting at my desk thinking about what it is going to be like.* Picturing what I'm going to ride.* Wondering what everyone else is dreaming about riding this weekend.* If you aren't going anywhere special then what are you going to do that you've never done before?

I'm going to do "The log crossing" on the secret trail!* I've always gone around before but this weekend I'm going to ride it.* I have to because I'm going to post the pic on Monday!* The log must be 3 feet in diameter; there is a skinny log that leads up to it and a bunch of small logs on the back side for a smooth descent.* Totally makeable, I'm doing it....Totally makeable, I'm doing it....Totally makeable, I'm doing it....Totally makeable, I'm doing it....Totally makeable, I'm doing it....

-mabel

·
~*~*~*~*~
590 Posts
mabel said:
I'm going to do "The log crossing" on the secret trail!* I've always gone around before but this weekend I'm going to ride it.* I have to because I'm going to post the pic on Monday!* The log must be 3 feet in diameter; there is a skinny log that leads up to it and a bunch of small logs on the back side for a smooth descent.* Totally makeable, I'm doing it....Totally makeable, I'm doing it....Totally makeable, I'm doing it....Totally makeable, I'm doing it....Totally makeable, I'm doing it....

-mabel
You can do it mabel!!! Sounds like fun!

I'm going camping in the White Mountains with my sister & her son. :) She's not into mtbing, but we will ride the paved bike path that runs through Franconia Notch on Sat. And we'll do a bit of hiking. I will try to get a mtb ride in Fri. before my sis arrives in the evening.

·
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee
66 Posts
The smell of pine

Have fun this weekend, you go girl!
they have gotten some more rain this week. trails should be great.
if you get a chance to do little bear, BEWARE :eek: last week a tree had fallen and took out some of the trail. its about a mile in. there sould be rocks piled up across the trail as a warning.
lis

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
oldbroad said:

I'm going camping in the White Mountains with my sister & her son. :) She's not into mtbing, but we will ride the paved bike path that runs through Franconia Notch on Sat. And we'll do a bit of hiking. I will try to get a mtb ride in Fri. before my sis arrives in the evening.
Wow! I have hiked up there and it is so beautiful. We went up to Lafayette peak and some other peaks and it was amazing! That was in my pre-bike days :)

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
This weekend I am road tripping to Oregon and Washington ! I am very excited. I have always wanted to ride on Mt St Helens and that is one of our destinations. Hope to have a lot of pictures....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Lucky you, in the pines, riding trails with traction! I'll be here in the desert heat, slip sliding through the loose stuff. But it's getting to be almost a bit dark at 5:30 now, can't really see well on the trails until about 6. The days are getting shorter, and fall will come.

·
Registered
691 Posts
mabel said:
This weekend is our first mtn biking trip out of the desert this summer!* We're going up to Flagstaff to check out some new trails (if we can find them!) and ride our faves.* Can't wait for the smell of pine forest and cool(er) breeze on my skin.* For the first time in months we can sleep in, sit around drink coffee, eat, rest then go out for an epic 4+ hour ride; instead up rushing out the door to be at the trailhead by 5:30.

I've been sitting at my desk thinking about what it is going to be like.* Picturing what I'm going to ride.* Wondering what everyone else is dreaming about riding this weekend.* If you aren't going anywhere special then what are you going to do that you've never done before?

-mabel
Just spent a three-day weekend camping on Shultz Pass Road and riding both the Mt. Elden and Weatherford sides of the road. We didn't hit the trails until 10am. What a luxury!

The weather was perfect, the trails were in great shape, and it was sooo hard to pack up and leave. Got me to dreaming of living in Flag in the summer and Tucson in the winter.

Have fun.

John W.

·
Registered
192 Posts
mabel said:
Totally makeable, I'm doing it....Totally makeable, I'm doing it....Totally makeable, I'm doing it....Totally makeable, I'm doing it....Totally makeable, I'm doing it....

-mabel
You can do it! Glad to see I'm not the only one who visualizes and "self-coaches"!

BTW - We're doing trailwork on Saturday to prepare for our race next month. Hopefully riding after. Then maybe I'll hook up with some of the girls for a girls ride on Sunday.

The forecast is PERFECT - actually, for August it's better than perfect - high 70's to mid 80's. I was actually cold when I finished my ride last night. Checked the temp and it was down to 63 degrees. Beautiful!

Happy Trails!

·
Registered
29 Posts
This Weekend I am racing at Buckwallow for the ontario Cup Series. Not looking forward to it though. The Girl leading right now is a freak and turns faster lap times at 12 than the sport women riders.

BTW when I say freak I mean freakishly fast. I am sure she is nice but all I ever see her is 2 min in the pen at the Start and then I chase for a Km then she is history

·
Registered
571 Posts
Xtreme_Pink_Racing said:
This Weekend I am racing at Buckwallow for the ontario Cup Series. Not looking forward to it though. The Girl leading right now is a freak and turns faster lap times at 12 than the sport women riders.

BTW when I say freak I mean freakishly fast. I am sure she is nice but all I ever see her is 2 min in the pen at the Start and then I chase for a Km then she is history
Slip this on her seatpost when she's not looking: :D

Attachments

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
125 mile road ride on Sat...

and if my legs still work on sunday i'm going to hit some local trails for a couple hours. :p

the 125 miler on sat will be the longest road ride i've ever done (previous longest ride was 104 miles). shouldn't be too bad though since there is only one big climb (11% grade!!!!) but the climb comes pretty late in the ride. i'm hoping to finish in under 7.5 hrs. :)

go get that log crossing, mabel!!

rt

·
Registered
151 Posts
camping

*rt* said:
the 125 miler on sat will be the longest road ride i've ever done (previous longest ride was 104 miles). shouldn't be too bad though since there is only one big climb (11% grade!!!!) but the climb comes pretty late in the ride. i'm hoping to finish in under 7.5 hrs. :)
rt
Where is that ride?

Me- going camping/riding..but still not sure where. GA or Southeast riders- would you suggest Tsali or Tanasi? Coming from ATL...and it's going to be a quick trip- leave Sat PM, come back Sunday. Or, any other suggestions?

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
Chattooga Century

porterjack said:
Where is that ride?

Me- going camping/riding..but still not sure where. GA or Southeast riders- would you suggest Tsali or Tanasi? Coming from ATL...and it's going to be a quick trip- leave Sat PM, come back Sunday. Or, any other suggestions?
up in Summerville. starts at 9 tomorrow morning with a variety of options including a 15, 25, 50, 100, and 125 mile routes. more info here: www.chsbike2004.com. the 125 milers will be starting at about 8 to give us an extra hour of daylight. ;)

i prefer tanasi over tsali. though i've only raced (no ridden for fun) at both. tanasi is closer to atl and you could do it as a day trip if you wanted.

rt

·
Registered
922 Posts
Road riding for me too, but not where near a 100 miles. You go Girl!!!

The trails and cool temps yall describe are making me jelous. It's 100+ with 90+ humidity here.

I'm heading up to De Leon, Tx for the Melon Patch Tour. All you can eat frozen peaches and watermelon. mmmmmmm home made cookies, and more good rural church women cooking.

·
Registered
151 Posts
oh yeah, heard about that

*rt* said:
up in Summerville. starts at 9 tomorrow morning with a variety of options including a 15, 25, 50, 100, and 125 mile routes. more info here: www.chsbike2004.com. the 125 milers will be starting at about 8 to give us an extra hour of daylight. ;)

i prefer tanasi over tsali. though i've only raced (no ridden for fun) at both. tanasi is closer to atl and you could do it as a day trip if you wanted.

rt
Well that's a nice day in the saddle. You will have great weather! Have fun...

·
Domestic Fowl
869 Posts
Dang! I'm jealous. The only thing I'm riding this weekend (and for the foreseeable future) is the couch. Been laid up for 2+ weeks already. :(

Post some ride pics next week so that I may live vicariously through you all.

FRC

·
Registered
44 Posts
Jealous!!

oldbroad said:

We camped in the White Mtns as part of our two week camping road trip through New England (MD to ME) back in July and loved it!!! We even had to modify our plans so we could stay another day in the White Mtns. We had a riverfront campsite at Franconia Notch SP and it was absolutely gorgeous!! There is some really great hiking around there!! :D

Back to the original discussion, I'm pretty excited about this weekend, because I get to try out my new saddle (Butterfly Tri). We ride a lot in West Virginia and between those rocky trails and my hardtail, *my world* gets a little sore. This weekend is supposed to be gorgeous, and from the window in my office I see blue sky and puffy white clouds, which is unheard of lately here, where it rains 7 out of 7 days a week!! :mad:

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm going to...

...Prescott, AZ. Also to revel in the pine forest and zoom up and down tacky single track.

I won't be doing anything new, as I'm being plenty challenged to get back to where I left off before being laid up with injuries and surgery and recovery and life in general. But, I will be plenty happy to just be pedaling along....doing nothing new, nothing crazy....just riding my bike....

·
internet axe murderer
220 Posts
Road tripping

Good luck with that log, Mabel.

I can't mtb right now, but I'm going to check out a big inter-provincial park I've never been to before, Cypress Hills. Leaving work early today, woo hoo!

Spike

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.