Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a bit intrigued by the Niner bikes recently and have been on their site. I cannot find a mention of where the frames are made on the website. I am guessing this means they are not made in America. Does anybody know where they are manufactured?

I tried googling too and came up short.

Thanks.

jim

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Taiwan is right.But where'd you find this out about Pacific? I'd like to know since Niner hasn't said a thing and is very closed lipped on it when asked, for what reason not sure. Little skeptical on the "High Quality" you mention if it really is them, because some of the stuff that's made it through QC sure says otherwise for "small run" stuff :rolleyes:

MartinS said:
They are made in Taiwan by Pacific, a small 'boutique' oriented factory that does small production runs at very high quality. They also make Banshee, Canfield, Astrix and the new Evils.

·
Space Ghost
962 Posts
Yes, I am still voting for production coming from a GIANT factory. It's a conspiracy man!

·
Out there
2,298 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Here's their website listing the brands they make;

http://www.pacific-cycles.com/product2a.asp?cat1=3&cat2=20

I'm surprised about the QC issues, the Banshees and Canfields I've seen have been pretty good, not much experience with the Niners. That being said it's possible, I've seen QC issues with some of the most highly regarded US frame builders - it's also possible that Niners own QC controls might not be as high as the other brands.

edit; As I mentioned, I'm not overly familiar with Niner or their issues - there is a difference between QC and engineering issues, if their is a problem with something like linkage plates then thats engineering which should be Niners end - misaligned frames or wonky welds - thats QC.

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
My 09RIP9 has two very small QC issues. First, the rear dropout on one side is slightly tight which means the rear wheel needs a whack with the flat of your hand on the tire to get it to seat properly. Second, the lugs where the bottom of the rear shock attaches are slightly tight, which means the shock has to be worked back and forth to get it in there.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I can see this turning into another discussion of "does it matter where they are made"?

Some people don't care, some freak out if they aren't made in the USA.

My own stance is that I don't care, a good bike is a good bike. I also believe we had better get more and more used to our "things" being made elsewhere. The US seems to be turning into less of a country that manufactures products and more of one that manufactures ideas and $. It is simply cheaper to make things elsewhere in many cases.

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
Being Canadian, I could care less if they're made in the USA.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Well thanks to both PHB and MartinS for that bit of insight :thumbsup: :D Guess a little searching can tunr up a lot ;)

·
Underskilled
4,750 Posts
Being from the UK I am glad they arn't making it in America. ;-)

Nah I'm kidding, I coudln't care where something is made as long as the makers are skilled.
Country is irrelevant.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess it is something that means something to some Americans; I am one of them. Maybe I just like the idea of it. It may be a deal breaker. I could get a Turner or Ellsworth frame for about the same money and know they are made by people who live where I do. I think people feel differently about producing their products when they are really PRODUCING their own products.

My Gary Fisher is not made in America, but when I pull the trigger on a $4-5000 bike I will look at it things differently.

My two cents, not a soapbox.

·
Registered
729 Posts
twelve34 said:
I guess it is something that means something to some Americans; I am one of them. Maybe I just like the idea of it. It may be a deal breaker. I could get a Turner or Ellsworth frame for about the same money and know they are made by people who live where I do. I think people feel differently about producing their products when they are really PRODUCING their own products.

My Gary Fisher is not made in America, but when I pull the trigger on a $4-5000 bike I will look at it things differently.

I understand and I tend to take the opposite pov - if it is a good product (bike or other), I don't care where it is made. I also wouldn't pay more or accept an inferior product because it is made here.

We're going to have less choice though as the lines become blurred. The 3 cars we own range in age from 15 yrs to 3 yrs. All are from Japanese-owned companies. One was made in Japan and 2 were made in the US by Americans. Are the 2 made in the US Japanese cars or American cars? What makes the determination? Is it who does the bulk of the building? The engineering? Where the profits go?

Similarly, my Niner was made in Taiwan by Taiwanese people for an American company using American engineering. I think it's a mutt by definition. . .:D

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
twelve34 said:

I went that way and bought a Made in America frame by a company staring with V.
Could never work out why the rear brakes (3 different ones) squealed like a banshee until one day I decided to get out a tape measure and discovered that the chain and seat stays had been welded out of wack.
On top of this my frame cracked at the seat tube as a result.

So being made in America does not point to awesome quality in my book.
Yes I know it could be an aberration, but having seen quite a few other broken frames from this small company I am not convinced.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts