Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
We are doing trailwork in the Soquel Demo Forest this weekend. We were going to work on Corral, but there are so many trees down from recent storms, we decided to work on getting all the trails open instead. We know of a large tree down at the top of Braille, and another one about 1/2 way down Tractor. I really need to know if there are other trees down that we need to remove with the chainsaw this weekend. Anyone who's ridden there in the last week, please let me know where you saw/didn't see downed trees.
As always everyone is welcome to come out and help with the trailwork. All tools will be provided. You just need to bring water, lunch, and the desire to be part of the solution :thumbsup: You can sign up at http://trailworkers.com/

Thanks for the help, and see you saturday.

Scott

·
When in doubt, go faster
2,122 Posts
Wish I could help you guys, but no can do, sorry. Tell me, what do you usualy do with the trees once you remove them from the trail? I'd think they'd make good material for stunts.

·
Registered
258 Posts
A couple of trees are down on Ridge just before the rock garden leading in to Sawpit. You can scoot around them, but it's off the trail, and they really should be removed. There's another tree down about half way down Sawpit as well, although it's pretty small and easy to bunnyhop over. Good luck and thanks!

·
GASing
508 Posts
I rode there yesterday, and just saw the big downed tree near the top of Tractor. I did a lot of clean up myself on the way up.

I did not see any big downed trees on Braille, but that could be because I was too busy hanging on for dear life :)

·
Takw/agranofsalt
3,532 Posts
Hey Scott, I'd like to help but I had a bad crash a few weeks ago and the doc says I'll probably be out for about three months (nerve damage in my shoulder). :madman: :madman: :madman: :madman: :madman: :madman: :madman: :madman: :madman: :madman:

See if you can't use some of those downed trees in 'creative' ways ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
just rode demo - sawpit - no downed trees, completely clear!

right in time for the big storm moving in :madman:

·
sunnyside up
1,193 Posts
All clear or just one new rollover?

BlueRider said:
just rode demo - sawpit - no downed trees, completely clear!

right in time for the big storm moving in :madman:
Charles and I were out on Monday with the BOB trailer and chainsaw. Nigel and Hank helped us clear some blow downs from Ridge. Took pretty much all day. We went down SawPit at sunset. That was so amazing. The rays were fluorescent orange and horizontal. It looked like spray paint on the leaves :cool:

I gotta say, having a little LED light on your handlbar at all times sure is a good practice, especially this time of year. Hihns Mill got really dark.

We stopped and briefly considered removing the last tree we found on Sawpit but decided to leave it because it was small, low, and free of branches. Do you remember seeing that? It's probably a low priority at this point, but will need to get cut out for ATV/rescue access.

We modified a few TTFs to make them more solid, while we had the saw handy. It makes nice notches. :)

Hopefully the last storm knocked down all the weakest trees and this one won't blow too hard. Otherwise I guess we get to start over!

Patty

·
Registered
56 Posts
knobbyknees said:
Charles and I were out on Monday with the BOB trailer and chainsaw. Nigel and Hank helped us clear some blow downs from Ridge. Took pretty much all day. We went down SawPit at sunset. That was so amazing. The rays were fluorescent orange and horizontal. It looked like spray paint on the leaves :cool:

I gotta say, having a little LED light on your handlbar at all times sure is a good practice, especially this time of year. Hihns Mill got really dark.

We stopped and briefly considered removing the last tree we found on Sawpit but decided to leave it because it was small, low, and free of branches. Do you remember seeing that? It's probably a low priority at this point, but will need to get cut out for ATV/rescue access.

We modified a few TTFs to make them more solid, while we had the saw handy. It makes nice notches. :)

Hopefully the last storm knocked down all the weakest trees and this one won't blow too hard. Otherwise I guess we get to start over!

Patty
great job! I don't recall seeing anything across the trail, I'm sure I didn't have to get off my bike though ..

G

·
I think everyone who rides Demo should thank Patty, Nigel and Charles for their efforts to clean-up the Demo trails on Monday. Having a chainsaw available really gets the job done on the big stuff.

I am curious if ranger Ed minds if some of the smaller stuff is cut out by those riders who don't mind working on non-steward days. Does anyone have insights into this thought.

I look forward to riding those new TTF's, thanks for keeping them intact..

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Thank you

I just want to state publicly that I owe you guys some elbow grease. Unfortunately I am headed to San Diego this weekend. I signed up for a trailwork day early last year but it got rained out. I PROMISE to make it out there soon. I don't even ride there that often but WE all appreciate what you guys do. Thanks for making this little slice of land one of the best spots in Northern California. Much love.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.