Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife just bought a Ride1Up Core-5 for $1,150 and considering the price of eMTBs it shocked me how good it was. It's cadence sensing (not torque sensing) and uses a hub motor, so I understand why it might not be ideal for off road use, but I found it still works quite well.

I've been keeping on eye on eMTB prices and specs, and right now every one I've found uses center drive and start at around $5,000. I can't find any with mountain geometry, but with cheaper electric systems. It seems like the whole entry level eMTB market is being ignored.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Agree on no cheap eBikes.

Heck, my wife's Como has me concerned a bit. Class 3 eBike, 27 mph, 160mm disc brakes. I get that a city bike is for flatland biking, but I hear more "horror" stories from ebikes on paved paths than on MTB.

Now you want a bike that can go 20 MPH down the steeps? I wouldn't want anyone out there on inferior suspension, tiny discs, XC tires with hard rubber compound. Go ahead and send them down the hill on that Huffy with a jet engine and see how they do.

----------------

Motors and batteries cost money. (duh). That pulls off the spec. Retail on a battery is almost $1500 now. Motors are not cheap. NRE's on frame design need to be accounted for. From cost, that puts what on the bike, $2000 at best?

So that $3000 e-bike if non-E is a $1000 bike. Probably reasonable to put on a steep MTB trail on human power, but make it so you can fly at 20 mph down trails with features designed for non-E? You're asking for big trouble.

-------------

E-bikes (at any price) with supportive suspension, big discs and 4-pot brakes, DH class or aggressive trail class tires with multi-compound rubber just makes sense to keep trail users out of trouble.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
BTW this is NOT a comment about homemade e-bikes. Anyone who can pull that off can wrench, design, and likely ride. Good for you guys! Save that cash and build your cool bike for pennies on the dollar.

I'm talking about the people who buy a bike, have the shop maintain it (including the tubeless fluid top-offs), and just ride. They need a purchased solution, and it's that situation that has high risk of bad outcomes when under-spec-ed.

BTW again, it is also not a commentary about "buying into" a sport without skill or being lazy. It's (IMO) a comment about putting hte right spec on a bike that is appropriate for the riding capability on the trail. And the fact is that the big brakes, high tech tires etc simply command a higher price and that translates to MSRP naturally. It does NOT mean that e-bikes should be arbitrarily priced high to ensure a specific output.

Price is the result, not the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
BTW my idea of a cheap e-bike is one that is basically NOT an ebike, then you can flip a switch to just barely barely take the edge off of climbing out of demo. But otherwise, not an ebike. Just that climb out sucks. How light can we get a motor that has little power and a battery just enough to run it for 3.5 miles of assist?

·
membership renounced
2,173 Posts
Hard tail eMTB's are about $2k cheaper. Or keep an eye out for black friday sales. I picked up my bike at a $2k discount. You have to be ready to pounce though, they don't last long.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Hrm. Here's a "Cool Story Bro"

Making your own gun has been a "thing" since the beginning of guns. Even moreso when AR-15's came out. Totally legal, and very rewarding and fun for people. Someone eventually figured out that since it's all Aluminum, you can make jigs and complete the process VERY EASILY with minimum tooling. No machine shop anymore.

After that, anyone could cheaply make an AR-15 from scratch with no serial number for personal uses. Eventually, pistols followed suit.

At one point, it simply became "too easy" to build them, and that's when antigun orgs, state DOJ's, ATF etc started stepping in and regulating and banning. It was and is a big loss for kitchen-table gunsmiths and hobbyists.

-------------

What's the point of the story? At what point is conversion "too easy" to blur the lines of Class I eBike that we get the attention of Sierra Club, Equestrian orgs, Weenie Trail Runners of America and other orgs, and they start to complain?

Couldn't we use an iphone app to change a quick setting for 27 to 20 mph max and sell it as a class III? quick change setting, unplug the throttle and it's a type 1, right?

I'm a big fan of my eBike and strongly believe that (at a MINIMUM) class I eBike should go everywhere every bike can go, but not sure what I think about a plug-in throttle on a non-city-bike. Makes me a little uneasy.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Hrm. Here's a "Cool Story Bro"

Making your own gun has been a "thing" since the beginning of guns. Even moreso when AR-15's came out. Totally legal, and very rewarding and fun for people. Someone eventually figured out that since it's all Aluminum, you can make jigs and complete the process VERY EASILY with minimum tooling. No machine shop anymore.

After that, anyone could cheaply make an AR-15 from scratch with no serial number for personal uses. Eventually, pistols followed suit.

At one point, it simply became "too easy" to build them, and that's when antigun orgs, state DOJ's, ATF etc started stepping in and regulating and banning. It was and is a big loss for kitchen-table gunsmiths and hobbyists.

-------------

What's the point of the story? At what point is conversion "too easy" to blur the lines of Class I eBike that we get the attention of Sierra Club, Equestrian orgs, Weenie Trail Runners of America and other orgs, and they start to complain?

Couldn't we use an iphone app to change a quick setting for 27 to 20 mph max and sell it as a class III? quick change setting, unplug the throttle and it's a type 1, right?

I'm a big fan of my eBike and strongly believe that (at a MINIMUM) class I eBike should go everywhere every bike can go, but not sure what I think about a plug-in throttle on a non-city-bike. Makes me a little uneasy.
On the e8000 motors you could remove the 20mph speed limit with nothing more that a zip tie and fridge magnet. Shimano's latest motor is "smarter" and throws an error code if it senses something isn't right.

·
Registered
521 Posts
As a retailer I have to go along with the e-bike trend, most people are buying their bikes and parts online now so I'm going to have to reply on servicing these monstrosities to stay in business.

As a mountain biker I think this will ruin the sport. Just like paddleboards were a cool way for surfers with shoulder issues to catch waves, or to catch some surf when the swell is too small for normal boards, they blew up into a huge fad that crowded popular surf spots with idiots on massive ocean going vessels- and no concept of etiquette or technique.

·
membership renounced
2,173 Posts
As a retailer I have to go along with the e-bike trend, most people are buying their bikes and parts online now so I'm going to have to reply on servicing these monstrosities to stay in business.

As a mountain biker I think this will ruin the sport. Just like paddleboards were a cool way for surfers with shoulder issues to catch waves, or to catch some surf when the swell is too small for normal boards, they blew up into a huge fad that crowded popular surf spots with idiots on massive ocean going vessels- and no concept of etiquette or technique.
???

Be sure to let everyone know the name of your shop, so you won't be bothered with their business....BicyclesOnMain.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Meh, opinions are what they are, this is the man's livelyhood. I don't blame him. I'm not in his area. But if I were, it wouldn't stop me from visiting his shop. Why, just because I like eMTB and he doesn't? I bet he can still do a fine job servicing a bike if I ever needed it....

1 - 20 of 59 Posts