Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a beginner looking for LA area rides that resemble some of the more demanding sections of the Leadville 100. I've watched some videos and the Powerline descent(and climb) seem to be the most difficult for a beginner. Where can I find such a road with similar grade and ruts to train on? If you are familiar with the course and there are other technical sections where I should focus my preparation, please point them out and suggest trails to practice on. Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
I'm a beginner looking for LA area rides that resemble some of the more demanding sections of the Leadville 100. I've watched some videos and the Powerline descent(and climb) seem to be the most difficult for a beginner. Where can I find such a road with similar grade and ruts to train on? If you are familiar with the course and there are other technical sections where I should focus my preparation, please point them out and suggest trails to practice on. Thanks,
Jeff
Maybe too far out your way, but i recall a trail in OC called Main (Pain) Divide that you could check out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Powerline is not as bad as it looks, with the exception of a few short parts. The super steep sections you should just plan on walking (up) on race day. The energy expenditure is not worth it relative to the benefit you get.

Leadville is not technical and IMO you can just pre-ride the Powerline descent the few days before the race.

If you want to be mentally prepared for Columbine, I'd suggest the Mt. Wilson toll road.

·
Registered
477 Posts
We did a lot of our long training rides around Ojai.
Typical ride was up and over Suphur Mountain then up Sisar, across Nordhoff Ridge and down Gridley. Lot's of fire road, with multiple super long climbs.

Closer to home, we would ride around the Santa Monica Mountains. Typical ride there would be up and over Bulldog down to PCH and then back up and over Puerco or Zuma Ridge... again, just long fire road climbs.

As said, the terrain at Leadville is very straightforward, you can train anywhere... you just need long miles with lot's of extended climbing.

As for Powerlines, it's pretty easy. I think some people get into trouble just because it is steep at the bottom and they get going too fast. The big rut is pretty easy, you just need to pick the left or right line and keep it under control. The rut section is near the bottom... which means you can drive out there and pre-ride it before the race if you get to town a few days early.

Now the climb up Powerlines... that comes at mile 80! There's the rub! You will arrive at the bottom thinking you have nothing left... this is where all of those corny Ken Chlouber quotes become very real... "You're better than you think you are and you can do more than you think you can"

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
We did a lot of our long training rides around Ojai.
Typical ride was up and over Suphur Mountain then up Sisar, across Nordhoff Ridge and down Gridley. Lot's of fire road, with multiple super long climbs.

Closer to home, we would ride around the Santa Monica Mountains. Typical ride there would be up and over Bulldog down to PCH and then back up and over Puerco or Zuma Ridge... again, just long fire road climbs.

As said, the terrain at Leadville is very straightforward, you can train anywhere... you just need long miles with lot's of extended climbing.
+1 this is a great training loop for Leadville

·
Registered
50 Posts
Jeff
A techy uphill is climbing the luge or climbing el prieto ....I ride all over SoCal...Mayb meet up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.