Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goal is to eventually ride on some trails in other states. I would love to just see what an extremely difficult trail looks like, not that I have any capability of riding it. Where would that trail be??

·
Registered
686 Posts
One of the most difficult and most technical trail networks I have ridden was Jiminy Peak during the three crazy days of Pedro's Fest last year. There was an absurd amount amount of rain over those days which made the technical trails of that area even more ridiculous. They are all very off camber and strewn with sheets of slippery rock, roots, jumps, sweet turns, and mud holes. The XC trails were great, but while riding DH at Jiminy it began to downpoor mid run. The lines diminished and we took three more runs. All the mud and rocks and loose crap was running downhill with us in a raging river. You could barely see the trail and if you could, you could only witness it being washed away beneath you. It was crazy. Regardless, Jiminy has some very technical and wickedly fun trails. It was a great day, not to mention the guys from Fluidride were there giving a free DH clinic to anyone who wanted in. They gave us some great tips and then guided us down the best trails there...it couldnt have been better.

·
never ender
1,314 Posts
traylseeker said:
My goal is to eventually ride on some trails in other states. I would love to just see what an extremely difficult trail looks like, not that I have any capability of riding it. Where would that trail be??
Depends on what you mean by "difficult." Where are you, anyway? The Sierra trails in Cali are difficult because they're full of big rocks. Trails here on Kaua'i Hawaii are difficult because they're muddy and can get so covered in elephant grass that you can't see the ground in front of you. And though I've never been to Whistler, trails there look difficult because you wind up flying through the air a lot.

'Course, all that stuff can get pretty easy if you ride it every day. I tend to think that the hardest thing is just riding a trail you don't know in an area you're not familiar with, no matter how technically difficult the trail is reputed to be. So if you want to get out and ride somewhere new, more power to ya...pick something close out of the trail reviews and go for it.

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,136 Posts
Whistler/victoria/North Shore
Peru-Cotahuasi area (some in Huaraz as well...the mega-A is easy terrain, so is pachacamac)
Plattekill
Tetons
Gooseberry/little creek...if you take the hidden lines
West Virginia

G

·
Frooooota

traylseeker said:
They got big rocks in Fruita CO. There are some gnarly trails up there...:thumbsup:
I forgot the name of the one I walked...er...uh...liked the most. :D

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
There are tough ones all over....

The Maah Daah Hey in North Dakota is one of them. The semi arid climate in summer can make it a real bear getting to the technical stuff to. Not much in the way of jumps, or roots, but there's long technical climbing, switch backs, etc. And then there's always the challenge of riding the whole 90 mile route as well. The trail runs from the north unit of Theodre Roosevelt National Park, to the south unit near Medora. There is deffinately some great technical riding to be had. It's one of my favorites. And of course as others have mentioned Fruita, Moab, B.C., New Mexico. Just pick a state and go to the "Regional Trails and Rides" forum and ask away. I think you'll find there's something in just about every state.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I miss the consistently technical nature of Central Texas trails. Most folks cast off such comments an uninformed opinion from a hack rider. But I've ridden a few trails here and there, and if you wanna get your rocks on, it is a good place to be.

·
Dude...
1,309 Posts
As far as requiring the longest continual bouts of concentration in order to keep rubber down, I'd say some of this northeastern CT stuff in the rain is pretty tough. Continual wet rocks and roots, with chances to fall in the river thrown in for good measure.

As far as physically difficult, I'd say Montana or Colorado. Lot's of long climbs and descents that make your hands cramp..

I think my brothers summer in Chamonix has all of this beat by a long shot though.. Some of the stuff he describes makes me feel like a sissy..

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,659 Posts
I am so down for the Swell... :thumbsup:

I will definitely explore this area more this year. It's a bit scary though, because it's dry, exposed and miles and miles from nowhere. You have to be 100% self-sufficient because no one is coming to help you. Other locations in Utah are arid and tough, but it doesn't seem like many of them can compete with the Swell for overall commitment level.

JMH

Jim Beam said:
The Five Miles of Hell on the San Rafael Swell in Utah. The pictures alone scare me. Even so, I hope to hit it on a Moab trip this spring.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
No contest. Whistler, Squamish and the Shore.

I'm not talking about the bike park and/or the big huck trails which everyone equates to these places......talkin' about the XC trails. Consistently steep and tech climbs and descents and very little time to just spin. Most people that ride those trails for the first time comment on the amount of focus required and that is probably more fatiguing to newbs than the physical nature of the trails.

I'm sure there are demanding trails in most areas, but everything I've ridden in Moab, Fruita, Sedona and Tahoe haven't challenged me as much.

EBX

·
Registered
44 Posts
The Canadian trails I've ridden in Jasper, Banff, the Chilcotins and Kananskis were way technical. And in Europe, the trails around the Lake Garda area are really really techy.

·
Is my rear tire flat?
858 Posts
Adams Gulch Sun Valley Idaho

It was our first day ride and the top elevation was above 8,000 feet which proved difficult for us sea level people from Seattle. Right before the high point there was 2 miles of brutal hike a bike (steepest for me ever). The loop was only like 14 miles but it busted my ALLS.

By the #'s I had completed tougher rides but I think the first day at elevation is what did me in. We rode for 3 more days after that and had a blast, awesome place to ride!

db

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Up one side of a mountain and down the other. Doesn't much matter where.

Oh yeah mountains have big rocky peaks at the top or a snow cap.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
up north eh.....

ebxtreme said:
No contest. Whistler, Squamish and the Shore.

I'm not talking about the bike park and/or the big huck trails which everyone equates to these places......talkin' about the XC trails. Consistently steep and tech climbs and descents and very little time to just spin. Most people that ride those trails for the first time comment on the amount of focus required and that is probably more fatiguing to newbs than the physical nature of the trails.

I'm sure there are demanding trails in most areas, but everything I've ridden in Moab, Fruita, Sedona and Tahoe haven't challenged me as much.

EBX
Being from Tahoe, we do have a lot of technical trail riding. Having been to Moab a few dozen times, and Squamish/Whistler too, I would easily have to say Squamish and Whistler win. And as you said, not the bike park but all the stuff around Whistler that is not on the bike park.

Attachments

·
I'm a unitard!
1,514 Posts
Jim Beam said:
The Five Miles of Hell on the San Rafael Swell in Utah. The pictures alone scare me. Even so, I hope to hit it on a Moab trip this spring.
The dude in that second picture has his fork on backwards.

Most of the trails in Moab will make you work. Whenever I feel my skills are lacking, I always head out that way for some refining.

·
MrT
119 Posts
Hardest thing I have been on is in NC. Don't remember the trails.

I suspect that I will best that this spring while in UT and CO.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts