Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I'm new to these forums and was wondering why you hardly ever see anyone mention SCOTT bikes? There isn't even a forum for them under the manufacturer's section? I recently bought a SCOTT Yecora and was wondering what the general consensus on them is.

Even did a search but only found one or two indirect posts and a bunch about some guy called Scott :) Hilarious.

Anyway, just curious :)

·
Registered
649 Posts
21alpha said:
was wondering why you hardly ever see anyone mention SCOTT bikes?
Probably because they didn't have a distributor in the States for a few years. I think this year is the first in a while that they have become readily available there.
SCOTT is quite big in Europe, especially in the UK.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah... only done about 150km on it but it seems pretty sweet to me. I come from a farm background so I'm used to offroad motorbikes.

My Scott plus ALL my gear, Giro helmet, multitool, Cycling clothes, gloves, water bottle, pump spares etc was about R5000. Lets see... that goes to $833. Generally when you compare things directly you can buy for cheaper in the USA.

Compared to Finland I guess SA is pretty warm :) Not hard to be warmer than Finland though?

·
Registered
649 Posts
21alpha said:
Compared to Finland I guess SA is pretty warm :) Not hard to be warmer than Finland though?
Tell me about!!!! :(

But it's a nice place, alot different to Australia where i grew up, not that Oz isn't nice though! They are just at different ends of the spectrum. :)

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
If I remember correctly a big reason Scott hasn't been big here in the US (even tho they are based here) was a dispute with Specialized over their full suspension design (since Specialized owns the Horst patent they insist everyone who uses it pays, Scott doesn't agree theirs applies and apparently Scott decided to concentrate on their overseas markets instead of a legal battle, altho I understand they're working something out lately).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
interesting... but surely if the conflict was about the FS frame they could still sell hardtails in the US? Just seems wierd that they just abandoned their entire home market over a FS patent...

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I think initially it was more a deal about the rights to the name Scott in the USA (due to other Scott branded products and ownership), and they concentrated on the overseas market instead. I think the thing with the Horst link was something that for the last several years has delayed their reentry to the US market. I believe they hired the younger Montgomery from Cannondale after he got fired to take over their reintroduction to the US market, which has slowly been gaining momentum (at least they are getting much more press in the bike mags lately).

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
where are the trails in S Africa ?

hey Alpha21, Where do you ride in South Africa without the threat of attack from lions ? I heard S. Africa has high crime rate now. Do you have out of city very far to have good trails?

What kind of trails do you have down there? Is there alot of roots or boulders ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No... there is no threat of attack from lions. Lions are pretty scarce. Though there IS a race that is entirely inside a game reserve where all "Big five" species live. (Lion, elephant, leopard, buffalo, rhino) Sounds like quite a rush :) I'm sure some pretty quick times have been posted for that race!

In terms of what type of tracks... well, I'm sure its the same in other countries, it depends where you go. Mostly it is pretty dry and rocky where I ride. Some very technical stuff with more sharp rocks than road in many places.

G

·
21alpha said:
No... there is no threat of attack from lions. Lions are pretty scarce. Though there IS a race that is entirely inside a game reserve where all "Big five" species live. (Lion, elephant, leopard, buffalo, rhino) Sounds like quite a rush :) I'm sure some pretty quick times have been posted for that race!

In terms of what type of tracks... well, I'm sure its the same in other countries, it depends where you go. Mostly it is pretty dry and rocky where I ride. Some very technical stuff with more sharp rocks than road in many places.
Hehe..hey Dale I see you joined the mtbr forums ;)

For the rest of you guys, MTB is quite big these days in South Africa, lots of races, lots of great places to ride. Here's a link to the race 21alpha are talking about, site also contains info about other races in SA.

http://www.spinman.co.za/default.asp?id=115225&des=article&scat=supercycling/mountainbiking

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.