Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive my ignorance but it seems that most 29ers are single speeds? I have found tons of info on the GF Rig but what about the cobia? Cant beat the look of a 29er single speed but hard to face no gears ever again????

·
Registered
130 Posts
The Rig has been around for two model years. The Cobia is new this year. When the first Cobias were arriving at LBS a number of people said they had one or one on order. I went in a week ago to a Fisher dealer to discuss options. I am in the market for a new geared hardtail/FS bike because right now I have two SS 29ers (one is setup fixie right now). They checked availabitlity and there were a couple of L, M and S for Rig, Cobia, and X cal. I was looking at an XL Paragon or X-cal. I think part of it is the sortage that Fisher 29ers produce. Sometimes you get lucky and your local LBS has one in your size, and the other times you order one and have to wait months for it. I also wonder if the tire rub issue has slowed the amount of bikes available. Another LBS has an X-cal on the floor and it was one of the ones with tire rub issues. They had it mounted with wire bead Nanos instead of the larger Bonty's.

On a different note, I test rode a XL Cobia this fall at a local dirt demo. It was nice especially considering the price. The only downside for me is the stock seatpost is too short, and the stock bars are narrow compared to my normal bar preference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Check-out the Fisher Montare

I had the same problem recently wanting a Fisher but nothing available. I then discovered the Fisher Montare which is a "hybrid" bike supposedly. It uses the same frame as the MTBs with a better looking metallic paint than the Cobia. All I did was change to big tires, fork and crankset. I even preferred the Shimano drivetrain/shifter combo over the SRAM stuff on the X-Caliber.

·
Registered
44 Posts
redxj said:
The Rig has been around for two model years. The Cobia is new this year. When the first Cobias were arriving at LBS a number of people said they had one or one on order. I went in a week ago to a Fisher dealer to discuss options. I am in the market for a new geared hardtail/FS bike because right now I have two SS 29ers (one is setup fixie right now). They checked availabitlity and there were a couple of L, M and S for Rig, Cobia, and X cal. I was looking at an XL Paragon or X-cal. I think part of it is the sortage that Fisher 29ers produce. Sometimes you get lucky and your local LBS has one in your size, and the other times you order one and have to wait months for it. I also wonder if the tire rub issue has slowed the amount of bikes available. Another LBS has an X-cal on the floor and it was one of the ones with tire rub issues. They had it mounted with wire bead Nanos instead of the larger Bonty's.

On a different note, I test rode a XL Cobia this fall at a local dirt demo. It was nice especially considering the price. The only downside for me is the stock seatpost is too short, and the stock bars are narrow compared to my normal bar preference.
Yup, been waiting since Late october for my medium X-caliber..kind of a bummer. Should be anytime now though! I'm interested what color scheme its going to be, since i've seen a few different ones.

·
Registered
117 Posts
ssom04 said:
Yup, been waiting since Late october for my medium X-caliber..kind of a bummer. Should be anytime now though! I'm interested what color scheme its going to be, since i've seen a few different ones.
I've seen a few colour combo's also, the most recent was red with white Reba......it looked pretty cool. If anyone is in Michigan, RBS has quite a few in stock (Paragon, X-Calibre and maybe Cobia).

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Tire rub is an issue on a selected and isolated production run, frames will be replaced by Fisher when ready. Shouldn't happen with any bike frsh to shops.

·
Registered
5 Posts
tire rub

mckeand13 said:
Sounds like I'm coming into this issue a bit late but what was the tire rub issue with Fishers? I haven't heard of such problems. Could somebody explain?
Tire rub is no issue with my Montare. This is with 2.2. tires and a frame that is marketed as a "Dual Sport" bike.

·
Bicyclist
2,849 Posts
ShoMyOFace said:
I've seen a few colour combo's also, the most recent was red with white Reba......it looked pretty cool. If anyone is in Michigan, RBS has quite a few in stock (Paragon, X-Calibre and maybe Cobia).
Scarlett's in Pontiac Michigan, where I bought my Cobia, has a large or extra large Cobia in their showroom window. It's kind of hard to be sure which size it is driving by there at 45 mph though. :D

http://americancycleandfitness.com/site/page.cfm?pageid=215

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.