Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes you will get to be too old, if your lucky. Will you become a weight weenie, lookin' to shave 1/1000000's off of your 24 lb. XC or 18 lb. road bike, drinking from a waterbottle??? :eek: If we're lucky, & I mean very lucky, we'll all have to deal w/XC & roadie stuff. Where do you see your self @ 50-60 yrs. old, ....hucking, dh, freeriding, xc , roadie....cruiser bike ???
I'm 42 now & looking to dh/freeride as long as this body will let me.

Where you gonna be????

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
i used to have nightmares (well, napmares actually) where i'd wake up on the couch an old man and my whole life had already passed me by, so i'd rather not think about it....

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
C'mon Zedro...we're all friends here.

zedro said:
i used to have nightmares (well, napmares actually) where i'd wake up on the couch an old man and my whole life had already passed me by, so i'd rather not think about it....
Don't be afraid. What're your thoughts on it? Hucking a wheelchair down th' steps to the tv room at th' old age huck center? :D

·
Registered
500 Posts
Well, by the time I quit I'll be.....

man w/ one hand said:
Yes you will get to be too old, if your lucky. Will you become a weight weenie, lookin' to shave 1/1000000's off of your 24 lb. XC or 18 lb. road bike, drinking from a waterbottle??? :eek: If we're lucky, & I mean very lucky, we'll all have to deal w/XC & roadie stuff. Where do you see your self @ 50-60 yrs. old, ....hucking, dh, freeriding, xc , roadie....cruiser bike ???

Where you gonna be????
.....Poopin and pee-in my pants and makin some hot little 18 year old clean it and and give me sponge bathes :). Oh yeah, it's gonna rule!

Beau

·
Uhhhhh...
2,894 Posts
man w/ one hand said:

Where you gonna be????
Sheesh, 24lbs is a pig and 18lbs roadbike can be bought for less than $800. I plan to put all my retirement money to use and build a 16lbs Scott hardtail and an 11lbs Scott roadbike. I'm only 16 so i figure i'll be riding for quite a bit longer.

-TS

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
I'll be riding well into old age as long as something else doesnt take me elsewhere. I'm only 15 so I figure that since I already have a V-10, Trek 820(yes I know...), Titan being built up, and just inherited a pimp 10-25yo Rossin Racing Team roadie and Im set for now, haha.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Yeah, you'd better respect your elders.

zedro said:
come to think of it, i wanna be just like TNC...:D
You dang bunch of whippersnappers! Old...but not dead. Geez, Man-with-one-hand mentioned 50-60 years old. That means I've only got about 7 more years to live it up. Oh the humanity! :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
man w/ one hand said:
Don't be afraid. What're your thoughts on it? Hucking a wheelchair down th' steps to the tv room at th' old age huck center? :D
I'd be up for a wheelchair with 6" of travel in the rear along with 6" on the front wheels, then do some 2' drops off of benches at the retirement center.... man, I don't want to think about it. Heck, we only live once... make the best out of it while you can :D

EDIT: As for 2' drops... gotta hope that the bones hold up.... :eek:

·
wheeeee!!!
360 Posts
MTBsSd said:
they have an over 50 DH racing group... right? :p
I was up at Sunrise downhilling with some of the guys from NoBrakes. One of the guys (Moses) is a granddad. He just took second in his expert bracket at Telluride. I can't keep him in sight. I hope that when I'm 50 maybe I'll be able to catch him. Realistically I can't huck till I'm 70, but there's no reason not to ride into the golden years.

my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
i allways wanted to die on a bike...

(is that wierd...like i never wanted to die in a bed as an old guy that pissed from a straw...so i figured id like try an 80ft drop at 80 or summin and die that way...figures if i landed it and lived id die from shock or go into the record books for attempingt to biggest drop)

am i wierd...

anywas i allways thought id ride untill i was about 50...seems as older ppl these days are much healthyer than older older ppl...at least that the impression im getting...but as time went on id try and buy a bike shop or design stuff and ride if i could...

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
Strip down your bike and put all your choice components on your wheelchair.

Hmmmm....

A wheelchair w/ dual 5th element shocks & 8" of travel, a set of Trailpimps w/ 3.0 tires on it.......

Bombing down the front steps of the geriatric ward. Yes!

·
Registered
691 Posts
In the last seven months I have begun to do a lot of downhill riding including shuttle runs at Sunrise and on Mt. Elden in Flagstaff.

I'm riding an Intense Uzzi SLX, which I realize is not much of a downhill bike, and admittedly I am not all that good, but am getting better and more confident by the week.

I take calcium everyday to try to keep the bones strong, and I don't see the end in sight at this point. My next birthday will be 55!

John W.

·
Registered
9,361 Posts
"The candle that burns twice as bright burns for less time"

My dad imparted this wisdom on me after I broke my collar bone riding - he is 79 years old & ski's daily during the season. He started skiing @ 42 w/ a much younger group. He told me that he steered away from peer pressure when it came to risky manuevers & didn't feel like he was missing anything from the sport. I like to ride as hard as possible but I keep his advice in mind so that I can continue to ride @ his age.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts