Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching out employment and finally I found some. It's not glory or something I want to stick with, but the people are great, it's fun and I can do it well. I picked up a roofing job doing flat roofs...it's very dirty and labor intensive, but for the money, I am ok with it. A lot better than having no money and I have a great weight off my shoulders.

The thing is...I want to start riding the trails again, but this job kicks my ass so hard that I don't have the energy to go trail riding when I want. I am literally in pain right now, my back and ankles are killing me.

I worked all week and haven't rode....it's so warm out today and I want to go riding, but my body is saying no way.

I could ride, but I'd probably be walking hills and avoiding hard sections like normal.

Anyone else have the problem of a job kicking your butt bad and too tired and in pain to trail ride?

Any advice?

·
Just Ride
1,738 Posts
Maybe give your body some time to get used to the job? You said you just started it? Anyway, I deliver furniture for a living. It's not constant back breaking work, but I do end up with a few deliveries each week that take their toll on my body. Been doing it almost 7 years now, so I'm used to it. I recover quickly after hard stops. I'm also not in good shape, the mountain biking kicks my ass! It's just to much fun to give up.

I dunno how roofing affects ones body. But if your new, I'm sure it'll take some getting used to. Maybe try shorter rides on the weekends or something?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Iv'e a good friend who is a commercial roofer and installs rubber membrane roof systems (basically huge rolls of rubber). Its a rough, rough trade and a young mans game. The money can be pretty good though and if you've been out of work long that's a huge plus. It might kick your butt for a while though, depending on the shape your in but it'll surely whip you into shape one way or another. Congratulations on a new gig.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I'm a plumbing contractor/service person. Yea, been doing it since 84' when I got my 4 year degree. Took over the family business. I'm ADHD and this job is great for me. I'm 51 now and thank my lucky stars I can still perform well. Yea, I'm beat when I get home but it goes away once you get riding. Roofing, tree removal, masonry, all are labor intensive. Keep at it and you will become one tough bastard.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Roofing is tough work. You don't say how old you are - that can make a difference. You don't see many old roofers - it's just too hard. For about 12 years I swung a hammer for a living, and while I didn't need extra exercise in my spare time, I still had enough energy to play basketball or softball at night. By the time I hit 40, I was waking up sore and tired. That's when I got into a different occupation that didn't involve real work.

My advice is to take it easy on your rides. Your livelihood comes first. If you're body is tough enough, with a bit of luck you'll get used to the hard labor and be able to play at night or on the weekend. Good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My job can take it's toll and I work nights, and I'm not into biking yet, but still run and hike and whatnot with the dogs. One thing I've found after you get used to it is diet. Eat good stuff that your body can use for energy, drink plenty of water. I used to eat a bunch of crap, but since I've been married, the wife has been feeding me good stuff thats good for the body and it's changed things quite a bit.

·
Nickel Havr
1,177 Posts
I worked for UPS unloading semi trucks... And there is a large lead acid battery manufacturer (Deka) local to the hub I worked at...
Every night I would have to unload 50-100 marine size batteries... Lifting each one chest high!

I would stretch before, during and after my shift... And eat a banana before and halfway through my shift. Muscles also like high levels of protein to repair themselves...

Take it slow and let your body get used to the job before you start pedaling again....

Best luck with the new job!

·
Registered
13,057 Posts
watch your nutrition, hydration, and stretch a lot. maybe look into a "yoga" type routine to limber up. it sounds like you are doing hard physical labor, but you need the rest of your lifestyle to keep up with it so your body can recover.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I worked for UPS unloading semi trucks... And there is a large lead acid battery manufacturer (Deka) local to the hub I worked at...
Every night I would have to unload 50-100 marine size batteries... Lifting each one chest high!

I would stretch before, during and after my shift... And eat a banana before and halfway through my shift. Muscles also like high levels of protein to repair themselves...

Take it slow and let your body get used to the job before you start pedaling again....

Best luck with the new job!
You had a gym membership which paid you. :thumbsup:

@ OP, People in the business I've known said many have to quit because of back injuries. It's a tough job.

·
Banned
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks.

I am 36 and not a stranger to hard work, but this is a totally different animal.
All week a guy and me worked on the edge of the roof loading the old roof scraps into a tractor bucket which then the guy would dump it into a dumpster, then repeat.
The scraps are old pieces of membrane, itchy insulation and plain old dirt, mud. Yesterday it was also 77 degrees but felt like 100. I am getting 18 dollars an hour and this week I made over 600 dollars so you do get payed well for the effort.

Even right now after a day of sleep, I do not feel like going back to my old trails.
Of course this job I will keep and hope I get used to it and develop some other routine so I can resume where I left off with biking before becoming unemployed.

I am happy, real happy that I have a job(a solid one at that) and now have money coming in(I was two months from having to move in with my parents)....so it's a great relief to have this job, even if it takes away my biking fo ra while.

I'll figure it out....may ride the small loop in an hour or so....just taking it easy.

Thanks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have also found that "getting used' to sitting relaxing after the hard week can become addicting. I got intot hat rut where I would spend my off days getting ready for the busy week. I'm not at all saying you don't deserve your time, but sometimes it's better to push yourself (a little, maybe ride on your saturday and use your sunday to relax). When I get into a trend, it gets hrd to get out of it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Congrats on getting a new job. Im sorta in the same boat. Im beat when I get home from work. But for now and for several months, I gotta park the bike and do maintenance on my home that Im selling.
But for you, take it slow and easy. Get accustomed to the new job, and take short rides. Gradually build it up.
Our age plays a huge factor in this too. It gets harder and harder each morning to get out of bed.
Good luck.

·
RideDirt
2,253 Posts
Your body needs time to get used to the new work your doing as it isnt used to the particular movements you are doing. I work 5 days a week doing 12 hours a day( Labor work ), after each day i go to the gym after work for a good 1-1.5 hour workout and i bike 2 times a week for a few hours each time. Trust me, lol give it time so your body breaks in a bit . Just eat good and try to rest and then start hitting the trails.

·
DynoDon
1,666 Posts
I was doing shingle roofing when I was motocrossing, I just looked it as conditioning, attitude, nutrition, taking care of your body, not overdoing it, just doing your work consistantly is alway better then busting butt for short periods, when your done a epsom salt bath is always a good way to relax, riding is mostly different muscles, so you may be surprised when you do get to riding, you may even improve with some stronger muscles, better attitude, more stamina.
Happy Trails

·
Registered
79 Posts
...What everyone else says!

I've worked at UPS too but never had a problem(preload), and also at Con-Agra foods pushing meat around(~300-400lb per container for 12/hrs a day; including having to shovel and manually dispose of +1000lb of waste meat everyday). Legs were sore for maybe the first week but got used to it pretty quick.

I worked at Caterpillar in 2008, got laid off, and now I'm back there(been working for about 1.5 weeks); and man my hands are forearms are in pain! I didn't have this problem before, so it's definitely due to having to get used to it again; but already the pain is not as intense as the first week; but playing volleyball and (tackle)football on the weekends doesn't help!

·
Registered
743 Posts
Grats on the job!

I did concrete work and like you I was so tired after work the idea of doing any other kind of physical labor almost make me sick....

BUT, your body does adapt. The biggest problem I actually had was not getting in the habit of going to the bars with the younger workers. Those guys (Labor) work hard and they drink hard! Some of them spend their checks as they get them (on booze and broads). You get into that routine you will be broke AND missing out on your bike! LOL!

Give it time my man, it will come.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.