Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been working a job for the past 3 months that requires me to work from home. Not a big deal, but I live w/ 3 other roommates and we don't have any extra space for me to set up a dedicated office. My bedroom is big, but I spend my whole day in my room and its starting to get on my nerves!

For those of you who also work from home: How do you do it? Any advice would be a great help. I would love to get my own place w/ a dedicated room as my office, but that would require more rent $.

Thanks

·
Registered
207 Posts
I spent 5 years working from home, and had the same issues even though I had a dedicated office space set up. Spending a whole day in the house got on my nerves, particlarly on those 16 hour days - which were far too often. It's easy to spend too much time at the desk when working from home. Be careful of that. I've seen some talented people burn themselves out working at home because they don't know how to stop.

Do you have flexible hours?

If you do, jump on your bike halfway through the day. Anything to get out for awhile.

Do you need to be tied to your computer? If not, bring some work to a coffee shop or library, anywhere other than your room and vary it often. This makes a huge difference.

The key is getting out, and if it's on a bike you win. Your office is going to be boring no matter where you are. After 2 years back in a real office I miss the home office. I certainly rode more while working more hours than I do now.

·
I walk up hills
186 Posts
ribaldmanikin is exactly right, I work from home and find that I have to take breaks, more so that I did when in the office. I have my stuff set-up in the corner of my laundry room, as I needed somewhere I could close off to the Wife, Kid, pets etc

My head office is 2 time zones away and I have to work those hours, so I don’t get to take a lunch hour. What I do is take at least 3 20min breaks a day where I will go walk my dog around the block. If I have documentation to review I will print it out and go sit outside on the deck and do it. I then usually go ride fir a good few hours after work to get the juices flowing again.

One great thing that I did was build my own desk and made it nice and high. Now if I want to I can stand up while working on my computer

They key seems to be just change it up as much as you can.

Also take sick time if you need it, far too often I find myself working when I should not be just because I'm at home all the time. This will burn you out fast!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have been working from home for 9 months now and I love it! Saves $200-$300 a month on gasoline. I find my home a relaxing place to work from, I can take a breaks in the backyard and pet the cats or water the flowers. But you do have to remember to get up and streatch once and a while. For some reason this is easier to do at the office. There is no more stressful commute and I take the time saved by not commuting and go take a bike ride in the evening. I also made a custom desk since I could not find anything to fit the space I have. I used some Home Depot kitchen cabinet bases, cut them down to desk height and topped them with a nice piece of oak plywood. Best of all, I got a nice 24" wide screen LCD monitor which is much easier on the eyes than a "small" 17" CRT at the office. Now if I could just get 10Mb DSL.... ;)

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
if there is any way to get your stuff out of the bedroom, that's the #1 thing... nothing is conducive to romance and good sleep like a pile of work staring you in the face.

That being said, I have worked from home for 15+ years. I hvae a lot of rules for myself. I never work weekends. I say NO when needed. A lot of people don't take you seriously when you work from home. Set boundaries. Set priorities. One nice thing about having a dedicated work space is that you can close the door on it when your day is done.

formica

·
Registered
333 Posts
I find a one hour ride road ride (gasp) during lunch is the best for me. Come home, quick shower, grab a sandwich and get back at it. Some rules I set for myself--never answer the work phone before or after work (unless your expecting the call,) dedicted working space is a must, get up to stretch, etc.

Formica has a good point that people don't take you seriously when you work from home. Try being in sales and working from home. My neighbors just shake their heads when I leave for a ride or they see me throwing my golf clubs in the car. I love it!!!

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
I've been working from home for the past 5 years or so and love it, I almost thought that recently I'd have to go and get a "proper" job as the people who don't work from home jelously reffer to it, but luckily I managed to retain my working from home status! PHEW!

I take regular breaks during the day, I might quickly go to the shops, walk the dog, play with my little boy or talk to my wife. I usually ride either before, after or during my lunch hour.

The only downside is, I can never switch off, I've been known to start work at 6am and not stop until the early hours on some occassions! People also think you're on call 24 hours a day too.

It's funny because in the past neighbours have been under the impression I'm doing something untoward, with regular visitors, I used to own and run a mail order car tuning company so a lot of fast and fancy cars were often parked outside my house, so I think they thought I was a gansta or something!!! As if!

I must say though, that the daily commute from the bedroom, down the landing to my office can be pretty hazardous, dodging nappies (diapers), toy cars and pets on the way!

But I wouldn't swap it! :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry TrekFan, no hookers. I guess I will have to think through my thread titles better next time:D

It has been an adjustment getting used to working at home, but I do like having the flexibility to go ride when I want. Thanks for all of the great advice. I was kind of feeling guilty about all of the breaks I would take during the day. It almost felt as if I was slacking, but it sounds like that is the norm.

The only thing I do miss is the "Water-Cooler Chats" or just having someone around to B.S. with. Almost all of the interactions I have with the other employees are through email.

I do like the suggestion about working from a coffee shop or library. I might have to look into a laptop for that.

Thanks again for all of the great responses.

·
rbtm member
888 Posts
minneSSnowta said:
...I do like the suggestion about working from a coffee shop or library. I might have to look into a laptop for that...
Yes, get a laptop and wireless network. I have a dedicated office at home but even so it's really nice to just to be able to pick up the laptop and do some work from the backyard or almost any other place within a 200ft radius.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Definitely a laptop with wireless capabilities. Look up free WiFi connections online. I don't know about out West, but here we have Panera Bread's spreading like wildfire, and they offer free wireless internet to all customers. Some companies, like t-mobile, offer subscriptions for $40 a month, and you can work from any Starbucks, Borders bookstore, etc.

It's nice to be able to change the view a couple days a week.

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
Can't...resist...

I...JUST...CAN'T...HELP...MY...SELF...

When your bedroom is your office ?

YOUR A DIRTY WHORE !!!!!
He, He, Ha, Ha!

I'm sorry if I offended, but I just couldn't resist.

Later, Eric.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.