Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...the derailleur hanger? water bottle bolts? seat post clamp? (I'm hoping yes on that last one, because I don't want to take it off... :D )

Just wondering what the standard is so I can compare my frame weight to others out there...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Why weigh the other parts if you want to know the wieght of a frame. The answer is no, but you could include rear brake studs and D. hanger on frame weight.
 

·
mtbr member
Joined
·
454 Posts
Keep only the derailleur hanger, because it is part of the core frame design and should never get changed to another model. Everything else including cage bolts, seat clamp, headset, bottom bracket, V-brake bolts (if any) may be upgraded, and should not be part of "frame weight".
 

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
Joined
·
10,919 Posts
I weigh frames with all those things. I'm not anal enough to worry about 4 grams of bottle cage bolts to need to remove them just to claim a lighter frame.
 

·
SUBLIM8er
Joined
·
2,203 Posts
DeeEight said:
I weigh frames with all those things. I'm not anal enough to worry about 4 grams of bottle cage bolts to need to remove them just to claim a lighter frame.
Celebrate your anal side. To my mind it's not about bragging rights for how light your frame is, it's about getting an accurate weight of the frame. Seat post binder's, canti posts and water bottle bolts can and should be weighed seperately for an accurate representation of the frame's weight. These components can vary a lot in their weight- think steel bolts/canti posts vs Al or a stock SP binder vs an Extralite @ 9g. Anal, OCD, vain...the stuff WWs are made of.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
764 Posts
only the derailleur hanger

anden said:
Keep only the derailleur hanger, because it is part of the core frame design and should never get changed to another model. Everything else including cage bolts, seat clamp, headset, bottom bracket, V-brake bolts (if any) may be upgraded, and should not be part of "frame weight".
I remove the seat collar & bolts / V brakes studs / water cage bolts / headset / bb/ everything except the hanger, I feel that this is the standard since all these items will or can be replaced with lighter items !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies, I have everything off now, only problem is getting the headset cups off...anyone have any tips, or do I have to take it to the LBS to remove those??
 

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
Joined
·
10,919 Posts
Axis II said:
Celebrate your anal side. To my mind it's not about bragging rights for how light your frame is, it's about getting an accurate weight of the frame. Seat post binder's, canti posts and water bottle bolts can and should be weighed seperately for an accurate representation of the frame's weight. These components can vary a lot in their weight- think steel bolts/canti posts vs Al or a stock SP binder vs an Extralite @ 9g. Anal, OCD, vain...the stuff WWs are made of.:D
Obviously yours is a delusional mind then. I'm not about to take canti studs off a frame to weigh it, when it can only be used with canti-studs. I'm also not enough of a moron to run Al canti studs for that matter. To me, people that think they have to remove these things to weigh the frames are the losers who are trying to compensate for the size of their cock/boobs because their frame isn't light enough already.

When manufacturers weigh their own frames, they're not removing parts you need to USE the frames to do it.
 

·
mtbr member
Joined
·
454 Posts
Tag1 said:
Thanks for the replies, I have everything off now, only problem is getting the headset cups off...anyone have any tips, or do I have to take it to the LBS to remove those??
This is a proper type of tool: http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=50&item=RT-1#

I have held an old aluminum handlebar towards the inside of the cup, very carefully tapped on it with a hammer, and kept swithing the side of the cup on which I have tapped. But be careful if you do it that way! I have seen pics of cracked head tubes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,381 Posts
Maybe your Fames here: :ihih:
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings/components.php?type=hardtailframes

Tag1 said:
Thanks for the replies, I have everything off now, only problem is getting the headset cups off...anyone have any tips, or do I have to take it to the LBS to remove those??
I'd leave the HS cups alone..If there aluminum they dont weigh all that much:thumbsup:
If you really want to take them out go to the "tool time" board..You'll get good honest help without the BS..

Jake Pay, POWERED by SRAM Here....:ihih::yesnod::smilewinkgrin::winker::lol:

EDIT; Heres one way to do it.:D
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=130069
 

·
ballbuster
Joined
·
12,718 Posts
My rule is...

Tag1 said:
...the derailleur hanger? water bottle bolts? seat post clamp? (I'm hoping yes on that last one, because I don't want to take it off... :D )

Just wondering what the standard is so I can compare my frame weight to others out there...
.... I include everything that is unique to that frame, and nothing else. Derailleur hangars are included, since you can't really go out and get a lighter one. I vote for leaving out bottle bolts, since you can use nylon ones that have no significant weight, if you really wanted.
 

·
SUBLIM8er
Joined
·
2,203 Posts
DeeEight said:
Obviously yours is a delusional mind then. I'm not about to take canti studs off a frame to weigh it, when it can only be used with canti-studs. I'm also not enough of a moron to run Al canti studs for that matter. To me, people that think they have to remove these things to weigh the frames are the losers who are trying to compensate for the size of their cock/boobs because their frame isn't light enough already.

When manufacturers weigh their own frames, they're not removing parts you need to USE the frames to do it.
LOL.....Wow, so if I understand you correctly I'm a loser because my cock and or boobs are either too small or too big and I might be a moron because I might use Al canti brake studs. Thanks for that wonderful bit of clarity.:thumbsup: Your just a wonderful flower in the garden of life aintcha?
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top