Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Toby Wong?
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want more...bigger, stronger, lighter, better damping!!!

When will the Fox 36 technology make its way to a 5" fork design?

this year? next?

seems like a logical market to create.

·
Shamisen Appreciator
2,100 Posts
Tappoix said:
i want more...bigger, stronger, lighter, better damping!!!

When will the Fox 36 technology make its way to a 5" fork design?

this year? next?

seems like a logical market to create.
TALAS it's on the 36. Drop the travel by 3/4" and you'll have what you want.

·
Trampelpfadbenutzer
692 Posts
I think you will see more forks with similar tubing diameters(35-36mm) pop of in the future from all manufactures.
It was the same as they switched from 28mm tubing to 30mm,than from 30 to 32mm and it seems to be logical that they will follow the leader.
Why should there be not a 36mm FLOAT or Vanilla?Also possible that you can buy a 36mm Sherman or Pike in future...?

Later
RaD

·
Toby Wong?
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
smudge said:
TALAS it's on the 36. Drop the travel by 3/4" and you'll have what you want.
yeah, but Turner doesn't like the idea of the 36 on a 5 Spot. Just a bit too much and tempting to go to big.

·
Bodhisattva
10,848 Posts
The other aspect to consider is head tube strength. The 36 mm stanchions will transmit more force to the headtube which will require manufacturers to reconsider adding more metal to the frame.
The jewel of the 36 is not only the big stanchions but what's going on inside. The damper in that fork simply blows away everything else on the market. I'd like to see Fox put that damper in the 32mm stanchion forks but then they'll be even pricier.

·
Registered
868 Posts
RaD said:
I think you will see more forks with similar tubing diameters(35-36mm) pop of in the future from all manufactures.
It was the same as they switched from 28mm tubing to 30mm,than from 30 to 32mm and it seems to be logical that they will follow the leader.
Why should there be not a 36mm FLOAT or Vanilla?Also possible that you can buy a 36mm Sherman or Pike in future...?

Later
RaD
I'm not completely sure how long the bigger and bigger tubing will go. Marzocchi has kinda stuck with the 30mm for their XC forks. I think people expected them to make the just to a lightweight 32mm fork when fox had theirs out, but they haven't yet. I don't really consider the AMSL a XC or XC racing fork by any means. But, for all I know they may go to 32mm tubes for an 06 Marathon but I don't know...

Sure on the FR/DH end you will see 35-36mm fork and maybe so more 40mm ones, but I'm not sure what benefit bring an entire line of XC forks up to 36mm tubing will do. I'm happy with my Marathon for XC riding. Sure it is a little flexier than my 888 but I'm not asking the same things from it.

·
hands up who wants to die
1,405 Posts
Tappoix - it sounds like you have a Turner problem, not a Fox 36 problem.

There are a lot of other forks out there man, if you're set on the 5-spot.

-r

·
Toby Wong?
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rpet said:
Tappoix - it sounds like you have a Turner problem, not a Fox 36 problem.

There are a lot of other forks out there man, if you're set on the 5-spot.

-r
absolutely no problem with the Turner! are you crazy, man? :D i love the bike.

and yes, there are other forks. just wondering how the technology will drip down the product chain and how that might influence purchasing decisions.

people talk about how certain 5" forks are stiffer or better damped than the Vanilla, but most of those weigh more. I like the plush / weight factor of the Vanilla.

seeing the new 36 makes me wonder when the vanilla will grow up a bit.

ONE FORK TO RULE THEM ALL! or something like that.

·
1,405 Posts
Maybe get a bolt-on axle for your front hub? That will stiffen up a Vanilla/Float/Talas a bit, and it will certainly be cheaper if you are already digging the performance of your fork.

I suggest buying a Pike Team; I like mine, and I was a Rockshox hater until the '05 models arrived. Or maybe the AM1 with a bolt-on front hub.

There's a certain cut-off where you need to decide on the stiff/strong/long-travel direction or the light direction in componentry. Sometimes the do-it-all approach does nothing particularly well. I think going from a ~4lb fork to a ~5lb fork is more than worth it for the performance gains.

Also - how much do you weigh and do you actually feel any stiffness problem with your current fork? I'm a lighter rider (165 w/gear) and tend not to feel the flex that the bigger riders on this board have problems with.

-r

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
How tall is the 36? Travel alone doesn't paint the whole picture, take the 66 for example, it is taller than the 888. Z1 is an inch taller than the Vanilla, both 5" forks. This was a main reason I got the Vanilla at first before deciding that it wasn't enough fork to do the job and got the Z1. If you take a coil 36 (which will be out next year, as rumors have it) and set it to 5", will it be taller or shorter than the Z1?

_MK

·
Bodhisattva
10,848 Posts
I don't know, but the 36 Vanilla will reportedly not be travel adjustable like the 36 TALAS. I guess one could rig something with shorter springs & bumpers.

Actually, I just remembered seeing A2Cs on the 36 and it is almost identical to the Z1.

·
Toby Wong?
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
an interesting perspecitve, rpet. there are so many niches to think about.

i'm 235 w/ gear. oh joy. i can't tell you that i necessarily feel the flex, but i could imagine it being stiffer. especially pounding through rutted out berms.

i am reading that RS is finally getting their act together after many years of lameness. Marz and Fox seem to have been leading the way.

i've had a few set-up issues with the Vanilla coil weight. I was on the heavy spring but it wasn't plush enough. now i'm on the next down (green?) and I like it more. others have said that the fork suffers from brake dive and bad low-speed compression...whatever it is, it sounds like they have it licked with this years models, espcially the 36's traits (but also with the new Vanilla internals).

as for the weight gain on the bike, i'm torn between lightness/performance and more weight/performance. My Spot is ~30.5 lbs now and for where I do the majority of my riding, I wouldn't want to go another pound heavier. Of course, i could get an RP3 and ditch the Push'd Vanilla RC and drop a pound, then gain it back in the fork.

I suppose something like a DUC32 fits the spec, except for it's astronomical price, some durability issues, and need for a 20mm thru. but i like the convenience of the standard axle. easy-on, easy-off. i put my baby inside my truck when driving around, so it's on and off alot.

so that's why i'm imagining what the next generation of forks will provide.

maybe something like an AM1 is the ticket, after i swap for the RP3.

oh, the horror.

·
Registered
868 Posts
MK_ said:
How tall is the 36? Travel alone doesn't paint the whole picture, take the 66 for example, it is taller than the 888. Z1 is an inch taller than the Vanilla, both 5" forks. This was a main reason I got the Vanilla at first before deciding that it wasn't enough fork to do the job and got the Z1. If you take a coil 36 (which will be out next year, as rumors have it) and set it to 5", will it be taller or shorter than the Z1?

_MK
The 36 falls right in with the Z1/All Mt chassis from Marzocchi. The A-to-C is almost exactly the same as a Z1 150mm (appox 535-540mm). So it's not as tall as the 66, but not as short as the other Foxes when set to the same travel.

·
1,405 Posts
Tappoix -
Thanks for providing more info. You can ignore my stiffness opinons because of our difference in weight. :)

I can vouch for the ease-of-use of the RS Maxle system. You can remove the front wheel as easily and quickly as on a standard QR. That is not marketing BS, but my everyday experience.

I like the RP3 on my Blur, so if you can find the coin, I'd say you should go that route, then reallocate that weight into a Z1, AM1 or Pike.

On the other hand: Have you confirmed that Turner will explicity void your warrantee if you put a 36 on the 5-Spot? It would be worth a phone call to find out. The 1 to 1 1/2 degree HA change probably won't be too bad in real world situations.

-r

·
Shamisen Appreciator
2,100 Posts
Tappoix said:
an interesting perspecitve, rpet. there are so many niches to think about.

i'm 235 w/ gear. oh joy. i can't tell you that i necessarily feel the flex, but i could imagine it being stiffer. especially pounding through rutted out berms.
I'm about 210 with gear and can tell you with conviction that the difference in stiffness between my 05 TALAS RLC and 36 is HUGE. There's really no comparison...especially through rutted out berms.

·
Bodhisattva
10,848 Posts
smudge said:
I'm about 210 with gear and can tell you with conviction that the difference in stiffness between my 05 TALAS RLC and 36 is HUGE. There's really no comparison...especially through rutted out berms.
Yup. There's no comparison. The 36 eats up everything in it's path. It's like a guided missle.

·
Toby Wong?
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The Squeaky Wheel said:
Yup. There's no comparison. The 36 eats up everything in it's path. It's like a guided missle.
so why can't they do that for a 5" fork?

yes, Dave came on the board and said that it would void the warranty, as per what Squeeky said. Head tube strength.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Dave has said that. He doesn't even like the Z1 on there. On the side note it is funny that the 5 Spot video on his website has a bike with a Z1 up front.

Sqeeek, I realize that coil won't be travel adjustible like the TALAS, but Vanillas are travel adjustible via internal spacers and I would imagine the coil 36 would be the same.

_MK

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.