Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used aluminum tsunami singlespeed and I'm putting on a kona project 2 fork and I weigh 145 pounds, when will it all break?
Is doing endos, jumps and small drop-offs ok?

·
Now Uploading
1,110 Posts
It will break once you have completed upgrade mode and purchased an exact size seatpost, post clamp, stem length, bottom bracket and any other particular part that you cannot possibly reuse on a different bike or any other bike you have, and not a moment sooner.

Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
My K.H.S 7000 series aluminum frame just broke this summer after ten plus years of off road riding.It cracked across the drive side drop out, the axle bolt was the only thing holding it together.I discoverd this the day I was going to the S.S.W.C05 up in P.A It must have happened on the last ride,I am glad I found out before I got up there,I scrambled to set up another old frame I had,I still road but I missed my bike.What I am saying is that bike lasted a lot longer than I ever expected,I rode it geared for a long time then S.S. for the last three years of its life.I just bought a used Bianchi S.S, onley a year old, I would have never bought a used bike before.
Frames will last a really long time if built good or very good, they often last longer than you want,like you get tired of it and want a diffrent one.
It broke from fatigue, if you brake it jumping,thats another story.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
aha

that's a story I was looking for.
While everyone else has taken my question as a set-up for wit (while I'm taking this as an opportunity to work on my queen's English) what I'm really looking for is personal experiences.
I hear you on wishing things would break sooner- as long as I dont get hurt. Cause then ofcourse you've just got to upgrade, there is no going backwards, youre better than that now.
anyone else have personal story of frame breakage?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Breakage

I have been abusing a Brodie aluminum frame for 4 years now with no failure despite many scratches and dents. I have managed to destroy 2 rigid forks, however. If you are getting the Project 2 butted fork, I would bet that casing the occasional "small drop" will break the fork before the frame. I'd say that three years for the fork would be my experience. You may be able to stack the odds in your favour by using large volume tires.

Orest.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.