Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really curious why Maxxis hasn't started making their 29er tyres with the LUST option :???: It's less of a weight gain that true UST, but enough to beef up the sidewalls to tyres that are very popular in the 29er crowd being run tubeless - Ignitor and Crossmark.

Anyone got any insight or ideas on this I'd really like to hear them.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup, never would debate that,they air up easy as pie with a floor pump. But how do they do when rubbing on rocks? I know I thought they were OK until my CrossMark slid down along a rock in a small, but deep water flow, it sliced the outside good enough that stans just wouldn't seal it up, but a tube worked fine. When I got home and check the inside of the tyre I couldn't even feel the slash, so it was just an external cut and yet it wouldn't seal up.

I like my Maxxis tyres, but I'll be the first to admit that they have very thin sidewalls which leave me skeptical on riding a lot of places here because of our sharp coral stone rocks formations.

SSINGA said:
Not needed IMO. All the maxxis tires I have used work just fine with Stan's.

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
LyNx - the Ardent is a tad thicker than the Ignitor/Crossmark. Mine's been uber durable for the south Florida coral rock - which is pretty abrasive.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thought of the Ardent

Yeah, I've had them on my mind recently the more I read about them and kick myself for not picking one of the ones Larry had in stock while I was in CO:madman: The tread just didn't look any beefier than the Crossmarks or Ignitors to me :skep: Have a pair of Ignitors and Crossmarks though that aren't worn out PLUS a Rampage, Nevegal, Weirwolf, 2.25" Racing Ralph, 2.2" & 2.4" Mtn.Kings around to play with plus the original Nanos that came with the RIP9 that now reside on the KM for commuting/road riding.

Right now running an Ignitor in the rear (did have a Xmark on the rear, but it got slashed as I said) and Racing Ralph upfront tubeless on Flows. Started the tubeless experiment with RR on the rear and Rampage on the front but too much rolling resistance for me with the amount of road I have to traverse between/getting to trails.

GreenLightGo said:
LyNx - the Ardent is a tad thicker than the Ignitor/Crossmark. Mine's been uber durable for the south Florida coral rock - which is pretty abrasive.

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
I would say the tread on a new Ardent is probably a hair deeper than a new Ignitor - but pretty close. It's just a different feel - closer center blocks so they roll fast - wider gap to the larger outter knobs and smaller intermediates.

I've got 500+ miles on the front Ardent - it's wearing very well. You could not go wrong pairing it with a Crossmark (or just double up the Ardents).

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I haven't lost confidence in the Crossmarks, it's just when you're running the tubeless and something like what happened to me happens and you have to dump the goop and use a tube it gets a bit annoying - is that goop bad for the environment? I'll prob line the inside with some contact cement or another light inner tube to avoid not being able to get full life out of my Crossmarks.

THenne said:
Hey thanks for the Ardent info! I have lost all confidence in the Crossmark for a rear after many sidewall issues!

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
I ripped the sidewall on my rear Ardent a month after installing, little better than the Rampaperthins but not much, the front is still going tubeless tho.

My dream tire would be a DHF 2.3 in UST

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
rroeder said:
I ripped the sidewall on my rear Ardent a month after installing, little better than the Rampaperthins but not much, the front is still going tubeless tho.

My dream tire would be a DHF 2.3 in UST
I tore an Ardent in North Carolina this past June too - but that could have happened to any tire. Punctured the sidewall on a landing, went through the bead and took a little piece out of my Flow.....It's still a great tire.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.