Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a White Bros bw.8 about 5 months ago (It was supposed to be in Jan 15th). So after waiting 3 months I gave up and found a Reba Race . . . errrr now converted to SL for DT clearance. All is good, but the sooner or later I knew that wagon carrying my bw.8 had to get here. The White Bros. is a little more trick looking, and a little lighter so on it goes . . . or does it?

. . . but first some measurements
Weight: WB - 1660g, Reba - 1720g
Axle to Crown: WB - 475mm, Reba - 493
Stations (Outside to Outside): WB - 91.5mm, Reba - 98mm

With the narrower stations, and the low profile lock-out downtube clearance should not be an issue with this fork, although I didn't install it and try it, but I can't see how it can be . . . at least on my frame. decisions, decisions. Lets see light weight, reviews about performance are good, Down tube clearance, slgihtly lower axle to crown could quicken steering, but it's so small it's neglegable. OK one more thing. I've got Chris King ISO hubs, hows the rotor clearance. Yep, just about none. I say "Just about" because I have Hope 2 piece/floating rotors.

(Get familiar with hope floating rotors here)
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=96194

Those rivets/buttons that connect the aluminum body to the SS disk actually hit the fork leg. I guess I could get new rotors, but clearance max is 2mm . . . if that. Maybe this is a marriage that is not to be? I have a DT 240s ISO DISC hub, and that gave me another 2- 1.5mm, but tight none the less, very tight.

So should I use the WB bw.8 or not? With new rotors ( . . . and I'd hate to give up the Hopes) I can't see them not rubbing the fork legs with this tight clearance in use. I could use my DT 240s hubs, but I'd have to take apart a almost new set of wheel I was planning to sell to fund this project in the first place, then I'd also have to get new spokes on one side because for some reason DT decided to save weight by making the DISC side bigger than the non-disc side. So even if I replace the hubs, spokes, and rotors It's still going to be close.

My 2 questions are:
1. Who's found that their rotor hits the fork leg, and what are your thoughts? . . . and don't give me the washer between the hub axle and the inside of the fork leg. for 1. It binds the fork legs, and 2. takes the caliper out of alignment with the rotor . . .just a bit on both accounts but not mechanically sound work arounds non-the-less. OK tell me your experience if you have :rolleyes:
2. Is it worth going through all this trouble to replace the Reba with a new (still uncut) WB bw.8? . . . am I insane? :confused:

Attachments

·
Cassoulet forever !
2,260 Posts
Is this 160 or 180mm disks ? I would love to put this disks in 180mm on my bike. If it is 180mm, could you weight them please ?

1- Seems to me that the interference si very small. I would put a little dremel work where the disks button touch the leg.
Possibly you will just have to remove the paint.
With the dremel, make smooth lines, so that you don't create a stress riser.

As for the outside of the disk touching the fork leg, it won't happen in my opinion if you have a stiff fast release. Bolt on stell are far stiffer (and usually lighter !) than most others

For the DT hubs : disk side is bigger because the spokes are not in a symetric pattern (this is a problem with disks front hub). So it is a smart design.
Check out the innovation forum for self made symetric disks front hubs.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Re: BW.8 and King Disc Hubs

Briefly heard about this issue before.

I am planning on using a BW.8 with King 'universal adapter' disc hubs and Avid cable disc brakes.

Has anyone feedback on this set up?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
160mm

20.100 FR said:
Is this 160 or 180mm disks ? I would love to put this disks in 180mm on my bike. If it is 180mm, could you weight them please ?

They are 160mm rotors, the inter"fear"ance come from the fork leg bottom because it's actually bigger than the fork leg. As to what I think about the DT hub flang thing, I'm going to have to read about that first, I think thay could have made the non-disc side as big as the disc side, like a king.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
actually

mward said:
Send the hub shell back to king and have them remove 1 or 2mm from the rotor face. If he won't do it, find someone with a lathe who will. A real machinist (so you can be sure they'll get everything square).
. . . but is the White Bros. worth all this trouble?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahhh Yes

Dr.Kildare said:
Briefly heard about this issue before.

I am planning on using a BW.8 with King 'universal adapter' disc hubs and Avid cable disc brakes.

Has anyone feedback on this set up?
If you use a King Universal/DISC-GO Tech it will work. There rotor adaptors come in different widths. So if it rubs it can be spaced away with a different adaptor.

·
climb
2,293 Posts
Hexonxonx said:
My 2 questions are:
1. Who's found that their rotor hits the fork leg, and what are your thoughts? . . . and don't give me the washer between the hub axle and the inside of the fork leg. for 1. It binds the fork legs, and 2. takes the caliper out of alignment with the rotor . . .just a bit on both accounts but not mechanically sound work arounds non-the-less. OK tell me your experience if you have :rolleyes:
2. Is it worth going through all this trouble to replace the Reba with a new (still uncut) WB bw.8? . . . am I insane? :confused:
Hexonxonx,

I'm running the exact set up you have in your picture. Not much clearance, but I have not had _any_ problems with the fork, brake, hub, etc. It's all working nicely.

As for WB instead of Reba, I never ridden a Reba so I don't have any opinions. The one think I like about the WB is the simplicity of the fork--dial and forget.

·
Jackbooted Elitist Hipstr
747 Posts
Crown to Axle Height?

Did you measure the crown to axle height on the Reba in 80mm or 100mm mode? Trying to make a similar decision myself. If we reach different conclusions, maybe we can do some bidness.

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
The potential problem scared me off!

This issue scared me off, but not off the fork. I came off of my plan to use the ISO disc King hubs and went with Hadleys instead, I still only have about 2mm clearance between the fork and the disc. With problems with availability and the question of rubbing, the descision was pretty easy. The Hadleys are great, and the BW.8 is great..... keep the fork and make it work using whatever hubs you need to.

FYI - I spoke with both King and WB about the issue and neither want to take credit or blame it seems the ISO standard has a tolerance range and each of the manufacturers are towards the edge of that range leaving a very small margin of clearance.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
I've seen a ton of stuff about these Hadley hubs, but haven't seen a webpage or anyother form of information out there. Anyone got contact so's I can get a pricelist and info? They look like nice hubs. My wife has one of the GT labeled hubs on her geary and it works great, though I've heard those were weak(?).

·
Registered
361 Posts
Rather than a tangent on Hadley Hubs....

Why not get back to the issues of the WB fork. The legs are to narrow and the Axle to Crown is to short compared to the rest of the 29er forks out there. The general standard for Axle to Crown for 29ers is approximately 468mm. Some use 470, but anything decent is within that range. The Reba, when in the 80mm setup is within the range.

Instead of making excuses and compromising other equipment on the bike, like King hubs, why not contact WB and let them know of changes they need to make to their fork. Some on here will ***** and say its the greatest fork ever. Great, but there are others that will agree that WB forks have basic issues. To Start, They are as follows:

1. Axle to Crown Measurement is to short for any production 29er
2. The rake of the fork is to short and should be 45mm, or close to.
3. The legs are obviously to narrow, making it impossible to run the best hubs available(King & DT).

It would be ignorant to take a CK hub and machine the rotor mount back a few mm to fit the fork. Nobody should have to compromise what equipment they use because of tolerance issues like this! It is obvious that WB needs to realize that their forks need some updating. Some new R&D needs to be done!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
2mm is fine.

Clearance is clearance. Why would you need more than 2mm for something that doesnt give? I wouldn,t worry about that.
Now my rotor wobbles 2 mm, thats a different story, I,m trying to bend it back, but so far out of luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.