Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am debating whether to wear goggles like those you wear for skiing or, Sunglasses.

I like Goggles because you have better view of the front, but would it be overkill on normal trails?

The only thing i dont like about sunglasses is that they can move around pretty easily.

·
skaterqwertyuiop
120 Posts
Goggles when riding DH for protection. Glasses (prescription) while riding otherwise. Goggles for XC just look dumb IMO.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i had a left over pair of clear shooting glasses, that can be had for under $10, actually just bought a 2nd pair last week at walmart. they are cheap and do the trick, but you can always go all out and buy a nice quality pair.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just bought Iron Man sunglasses! they are incredible. They have these "air-pockets", which allows the sunglasses to breathe and have no fog :D

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Goggles when riding DH for protection. Goggles for XC just look dumb IMO.
+1. The only time I'd consider goggles for xc is one ride nearby where it takes an hour to climb it but only 5 minutes to boogie back down if you take the fireroad down. My eyes tear uncontrollably from shear speed. I would wear glasses for the whole ride and keep the goggles in the backpack for the trip back down.

·
RideDirt
2,253 Posts
Def goggles for DH , i use regular glasses for riding XC/AM stuff .. Main reason for me is so my eyes dont tear up from the wind while going down some trails.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Def goggles for DH , i use regular glasses for riding XC/AM stuff .. Main reason for me is so my eyes dont tear up from the wind while going down some trails.
ah, i bailed really bad because a bee flew and hit me in the eye, before i began riding with sun glasses. So i made this thread, to see what others would wear...

The only issue right now is that, i cant see at some spots of the trail when going downhill, what glasses do you guys wear? What tint would you reccomend?

right now im using a redish tint, i can see bumps good enough, but when i run through the shady parts of a trail im almost blinded, and coming to a stop to take them off is dangerous.

·
Now with more slacking
62 Posts
2nd the rec for Wiley X products. It's a nice cross between glasses and goggles. Have tried 3 different pairs from them. Some of them have foam inserts to keep them stable, and to keep moist air from fogging you up in the winter. They're removable and I always ride without them, and the frames stay put.

I tried a photochromic pair from them, but I thought the baseline/no sunlight tint on the lens was too dark. Also it didn't change fast enough to work with changing light, so I ride with a lower tint and tilt my visor down if it's bright. My main pair is very light weight, wrap around pair, with almost no frame to interfere with field of vision...there are 3 different lens inserts, clear/medium tint/dark tint, that you can swap out depending on ambient light.

·
RideDirt
2,253 Posts
I ride with a pair of ray bans lol , they are clear lenses but with a slight light tint on the upper lenses, i havent had an issue with at all during bright sunny days and when it gets darker at night as well . I have a pair of oakleys as well but they are my casual glasses :) ..

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm looking forward to getting a pair of goggles soon, but for now I use my old oakley gascans when I go mountain biking. They are good sunglasses but sometimes at dusk or when I have to go into tunnels I have to take them off because I can't see sh**t!

Sent from my Droid

·
Registered
138 Posts
I got a pair of goggles from zenni optical that were pretty cheep with some prescription lenses inside. The lenses clip inside of the goggle and are pretty easy to clean. I saved some money, they were about $35.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts