Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hellow fellas, just wondering the other day when i was installing a new FD, that I never used the front large chain ring. I have a 3X8 yup old schooler, RD Deore and FD Alivio. So just occurred to me that I can not recall when I have used the large chain ring up front.

So just wanted to ask you guys where and if when do you guys use the large chain ring up front? I usually ride South Orange county Cali, so not so much pure flats.

Should I switch to 2X8 or wait to change the drive train to 2X9..?

Just wondering...thanks for your time :thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
EDR
10,011 Posts
It's purely terrain dependent. If you don't need it, you don't need it. Personally, I don't need it. I removed my large ring back in 2008 and have never looked back. (Riding a 22/32 up front and a 11x32 in back)

I gladly gave up the possibility for speed on the flats for much more clearance in the front on my technical rocky terrain.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's purely terrain dependent. If you don't need it, you don't need it. Personally, I don't need it. I removed my large ring back in 2008 and have never looked back. (Riding a 22/32 up front and a 11x32 in back)

I gladly gave up the possibility for speed on the flats for much more clearance in the front on my technical rocky terrain.
first..+1 on the name...eatdrinkride...lol ....niceee..
second that was what i was thinking when i was installing the FD, I never use the big ring.....terrain dependent is so true... i just needed a 2nd opinion...
Now If I would tackle into removing the big ring..what is the correct steps to take ....is it possible to do a 2X8 or is that non existent?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts